Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Minor Problem   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
hockeytrb99

Sandusky Warriors
VI.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I realise that I have way to many position players in my minors and not enough pitchers especially for the age of my major league pitchers. What position players in my minors do you guys think I should cut to make room for more pitchers.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd encourage you to make a table of the defensive positions, and place each of your minor leaguers into their best column. Then look for redundancy. Ie. 3 1B prospects.

Once you know where you should be cutting, it will be easier to make the moves.

In general I think you should:
- prioritize hitting skill
- prioritize players with good minor league stats
- prioritize guys that are developing well; ie., gaining SI fast, good current skills, good age for placement

My rule of thumb is to try to have 2 pitchers in each level of the minors. Not easy to do.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
One thing I'd add to Seca's answer is to sort them by their natural position (i.e has fielding and range, but no arm = 2B; has range and arm, but no fielding = OF; has fielding, range and arm = SS; has arm, but no fielding or range = C, etc) and not the position assigned by the game.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
One other addition: I casually also keep track of handedness. It's a bit of a luxury to have a mix of players who hit L and R (i.e., it can be tough to draft/claim a mix of both), but I like my splits, and some righties simply can't hit RHP. So keep batting hand in mind as well (all righty or lefty bats could be problematic as you climb up the league ladder).
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I've never been in a league where you could have too many Lefty hitters. Most teams have more RHP than LHP. There are a few teams specializing in LHPs, but they are still never a majority league wide. I definitely give extra points to lefty hitters and righty pitchers (or at least guys who don't show a strong split).
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Just as a follow up, I updated my own table and found some overlap and a player I can cut.

Think this is a good exercise for any team. :)
hockeytrb99

Sandusky Warriors
VI.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the advice

Previous Page | Show All |