Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> This is frustrating!!   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
StretchDynamo

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I feel your pain my friend. My team just lost 3/4 games to finish 2nd in the league off run differential for the 3rd time in 4 years. I love this game, but this season especially I went for broke and couldnt get out of league 6, I don't know how much longer I can keep doing this.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think its more frustrating to have a higher RD and lose. Especially if you gave up less runs. It means you were obviously the better team, but got unlucky with close games.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I understand that frustration, too, but saying a team that loses more games is the better team doesn't fly. Winning games is what matters. That's always first.

Hypothetical five game example--
5-4, 5-3, 5-4, 5-3, 2-10.

By your way of thinking, the team that only wins one of those five is better. I disagree.

Obviously that's an exaggerated example, but it applies to more normal scenarios, too.

Edit--I should rephrase my thought a little. There are many ways to judge how good a team is. I don't think wins, RD, or anything by itself is compelling data to say a team is better. You have to look at the broad picture. That being said, we always have and always will reward winning. That's the way it should be. I suppose that's probably why I like head-to-head and division records over RD for tie breakers.

Updated Monday, March 4 2019 @ 8:53:21 pm PST
nemesis

Brooklyn Dodgers
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Frustration is part of the game. Quitting is easy, staying the course is hard.

I spent my rookie season turning over my roster, then spent 2-3 seasons consolidating and waiting for my talented youths to come through: even then I had a winning record those seasons and contended for a large part of the season before handing over playing time to the youngsters. I then had three straight seasons winning 113 or 114 games, with a RD between +346 and +418, but only in the last of those did I promote out of LLVI.

And then? I've promoted twice more in the five seasons since, and was in the running this year with less than 30 games left...when I handed time to the youngsters again (Ames were out of sight).

There are hard luck stories all over this game, its up to you to rise above it.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I think nemesis just described how to start this game the right way pretty well. Should be a post of it's own.
Bridger

Muncie Flyers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
This thread has actually been helpful with my frustration, though I still don’t understand the performance of Lincoln’s players...
Wine13

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
totally agree nemesis. take a look at my team history last 12 years goes something like this 2nd,2nd,2nd,1st, relegate,2nd,2nd,2nd,1st,relegate,2nd,2nd,2nd,1st. A pattern I hope to break. Still trying to get over the hump. Won over 90 games in 7 of those years i think
mjreichard

New Orleans Knights
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
I've had a 102-58 record 2 seasons ago that was a tie for first, but I lost due to RD.

I had a 98-62 this year, tied for first, and lost due to RD.

Those are the breaks...I am just not a fan of RD as the tie-breaker overall because teams are built differently. Some are pitching/defense, some are high powered offense, etc.

Updated Tuesday, March 5 2019 @ 8:41:35 am PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
There is a lot of luck involved in winning. Personally I consider statistics to be a better measure of quality. A team with a higher RD, out scored their opponents by more. To me that is very clear evidence they were the better team, they just had bad luck.

I also pretty much ignore Wins for my pitchers. I consider other statistics to be far more telling. Way too much luck and unencapsulated information behind wins.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I am just not a fan of RD as the tie-breaker overall because teams are built differently. Some are pitching/defense, some are high powered offense, etc.

Expected win/lose takes that into account. A team that gives up less runs will have a higher expected win number than a team with equivalent RD that gives up more runs. That was why I specified also giving up less runs. Teams to run differently, and pure RD favors offensive oriented teams. Still RD is WAY more indicative of team quality than Wins and Loses.

Previous Page | Show All |