Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Most complete games by a team in a single season   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Robinson and Rodriguez in my example above are very much an exception to the high ERA norm, yeah. Both had over 20 wins that season, with C-Guez taking home his second consecutive Cy Young.
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
At first I thought i would put this in the Venting Thread, but I got my first CG of the season. And I am bummed. One of my unseasoned kids has a hook of 3 and 105 pitch count, yet throws 147 pitches in a 0-10 route. He had only given up 1 run until the 5th and then 2+ runs each inning afterward. Obviously my hitters sucked, so it wouldn't have made a difference, but what happened? I don't understand hook I guess. His hook of 3 is 3 for the inning, not the game, right? but it isn't clear to me. Please explain.

A pitch count of 105 seems pretty clear though. I don't think he threw 42 pitches in the last frame.

Here is the box score:

http://brokenbat.org/game/3098843

Updated Friday, December 14 2018 @ 2:50:58 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Your hook was fine (a little low actually).

Always hard to tell without knowing pitch settings, but I would guess that you have Fatigue Limits set on + for Brito, Kidwell, and Baxter? Or maybe RD settings? Unclear why Kirkpatrick or Coyle didn't come in. Maybe RD settings?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Manuel said:

- 2 * Earned Runs > Hook
- Total Runs + Base Runners > Hook

So if you give up 4 runs over the course of the entire game you get hooked. If you let 2 runners on base in an inning after giving up 2 runs earlier in the game you get hooked. Starters will have a minimum hook of 5 (Note on Management page).
buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Not quite as impressive as some of the others, but the 2036 Bears finished with 38. Cole Burk and Dmitry Lebedev each with double digits.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@Rock: I can definitely see how leaving super high pitch counts on players can lead to disastrous ERAs. However, I think a balance can be struck for really good pitchers where you set reasonable pitch counts, and on most days they'll still put up a QS. In the Blue Jays' case, I'd go with your intuition, that pitch counts were too high, in conjunction with hooks. Those CG totals were beyond what I'd expect to see, and the league-high ERA certainly seems to be a warning sign. But I think some teams can still crank out 20+ GC and still have a good team ERA.
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@ Rock: I really appreciate your feedback!

(other folks feel free to chime in)

you said

"So if you give up 4 runs over the course of the entire game you get hooked. If you let 2 runners on base in an inning after giving up 2 runs earlier in the game you get hooked. "

Then this didn't work correctly for me.

"Your hook was fine (a little low actually).

Always hard to tell without knowing pitch settings, but I would guess that you have Fatigue Limits set on + for Brito, Kidwell, and Baxter? Or maybe RD settings? Unclear why Kirkpatrick or Coyle didn't come in. Maybe RD settings?"

Lander's Hook was a bit low, because I didn't want to keep him in the game very long if he had any signs of imploding (my team is on the edge of relegating). He should have been pulled. I usually rely on the bull pen roles instead of setting RD and have never set fatigue to be anything other than neutral. Almost all of the bull pen was completely fresh in their fatigue bar. I carry 13 pitchers (with 2 more vets in AAA). I have a RD settings of 4 for both Coyle and Kilpatrick because they are my least developed kids (and generally suck). This was an 0-8 game before the last frame, yet Landers still came in to give up 2 more runs. Brito & Baxter are set to come in only after the 5th & 6th inning respectively. Lander's implosions were between 5-8th innings. None of the other pen pitches have any limits at all other than my closer McFarland (can come in at 6th inning).

So I don't see why his CG happened.

Pitching management problems bring up another issue.

I blow saves all the time as do many of the teams I see. I have played with having my closer come in as early as the 6th and late as the 9th. I usually give a hook of 1 or 2 to relievers, unless they are young developing guys that I give a large RD to and let them eat innings with a hook of 4 or so. Starters have a hook of 3-5 usually and pitch count of 95-115. Am I missing something in my management? How should I learn better management skills?
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If you want more complete games, don't use a closer.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@Hayseed: Pretty stumped as too what happened, but 99% of the time that a starting pitcher pitches that high over their pitch count (and they aren't throwing a no-hitter), its because there was no one else eligible to come into the game. Unless it was a bug, I would look over the management settings again to ensure you don't have something set that would prevent him getting pulled.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@lostraven: I agree you can get CGs while still having guys pitch reasonable pitch counts. I just don't consider CGs enough of a positive to stretch out my starters when I have good relievers on the bench ;)

Previous Page | Show All |