Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Does the East Beast Feast?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Interesting analysis. :)

I think there is a little bit of danger equating division strength to inter-divisional records. There are only 6 opponents. If there is a team that has punted after 50 games, that's really going to skew the results.

The effect should balance itself out with a big enough sample (more divisions, more seasons).

That said, IMO there is no question the East is stronger, and has been stronger probably since the Thunder Bay era.

There is a similar effect (in lower divisions) as you increase division number (decrease in human managed teams). A team moving up the "left" side of the tree in the East probably has the toughest road to the top.

As an alternative strength indicator, take a look at the 4 II divisions. II.1 East has 6 teams that all have recent Legends experience. Trying to break through there looks harder (IMO) than anywhere else.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
With only minor changes in my staff, my ERA jumped more than a point going from III.1 to II.1! They are all doing much worse than when they pitched in II.1 a couple seasons ago (and they are in their prime now...). II.1 East is monstrous this season. I got pounded at the start of the year. Won a bunch of games in interleague, and am getting pounded again now that its back to intraleague :(
nemesis

Brooklyn Dodgers
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
Does my promotion look more daunting than a promotion for an East team in IV.6? Go Venom!

I'm not sure why me, but I'll take it. Magic number down to 16! :)
hurstdm

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The Venom's path to Legends, I think, goes through III.3 and II.2. The West may be stronger in both those leagues (for now or the near future). If the West may be stronger, then the East may be weaker. That may be good for the Venom on the way up. As an Albany team, I think you're guaranteed to stay in the East.

A lot of assumptions and plausibilities, but: Go Venom!
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
Once east or west, always east or west.

In my anecdotal experience, the East has often ruled the West in Interleague play. My team's endless seasons in III.4 are what provided me that notion. I can't tell you how many times it appeared that if I or my opponents were in the west, we would be moving up rather than finishing 2nd or 3rd or not relegating instead of relegating. The only year I relegated, I felt like I had the 5th best team in III.4 but also the 5th place team in the division. That probably wasn't the case. But looking at the records won't show that. I also surrendered and went youth and that doesn't really show up in the record either.

I intend no disrespect to the West. My son in law has a West team. Last season in Legends it was much more of a West season during interleague. So much so it really stood out. I'm not going to research numbers. I've seen seasons we were dominated by the West, they just seem a rarity. But ultimately, each league is it's own microcosm.

East Beast Feast, I like it!
peacockpenguin

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
In my experience in the lower leagues 5/6 the west has had the better teams. This season may be of interest to you guys. It was certainly interesting to see the standings end up like this.

http://brokenbat.org/league/41/2031
nemesis

Brooklyn Dodgers
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
@hurstdm - Thanks, we shall do our best to live up to the possibilities! Although we won't do it pitching like we have this season...
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
II.1 East has 6 teams that all have recent Legends experience. Trying to break through there looks harder (IMO) than anywhere else.

Well the Lancers have no Legends experience, but everyone else does. One day. :)

But the point is valid - take a look at the Rankings: 7 of the top 8 teams are in Legends, as you would expect. FIVE of those 7 are in Legends East. Perhaps more surprisingly, of the top 15 teams FIVE MORE are in II.1 East. It’s brutal up here.
hurstdm

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Just a note for future readers, it was mentioned in another thread that the East may have a natural, procedural advantage over the West because of the way Broken Bat drafts. Team owners from the East may generally be from more eastern time zones. Team owners from the West may generally be from more Western time zones. Accordingly, it may be easier for more easterly teams to wake up and draft players immediately when the draft pool becomes available. Just a hypothesis.
Benchwarmer

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My experience has been opposite, I've found that in my divisions in LL IV, V, and VI that the West seems to be stronger in interleague. Although it does seem that the East tends to be more competitive, the West tends to lock up the season sooner than the East race.

Previous Page | Show All |