Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Minor League prospects after the Minor League season ends   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks Rock. Yeah I expect his appropriate level is AAA too, through the rest of this season for sure. I just didn’t want to waste development cycles on him if he wouldn’t gain anything once the minor league season ended.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
but at a slower rate

Justification?

There have been concerns in the Help thread about minor leaguer getting limited playing time and that affecting training. The official response (IIRC) is that minor league games have no impact on training.

If that's the case, the end of the minor league season shouldn't make any difference.

The final training update of the season certainly seems dreary, but I don't believe its connected to the minor leagues shutting down.

Edit:

if I have a guy who is marked as ready for the majors but I am leaving in AAA because he's spent too little time in AAA, is it pointless to keep him in AAA after the Minor League season ends?

If he's down there its b/c he needs more training. Training is not tied to playing (of any type - majors, minors, spring). Related to what I said above, but I don't see how the end of the minor league season has any relevance to the player's placement.

Updated Wednesday, November 28 2018 @ 8:34:34 am PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Sorry, I was really referring to the last week of the season. Pretty sure Steve has confirmed there is less training in the final week.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I didn't see that post, but I agree the final update is trash.

If he isn't going to play, (IMO) it's probably less trash to be in the minors. Same reasoning applies that put him there during the rest of the reason.
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@ Seca -- are you saying that you think playing time has nothing to do with training and advancing SI? You wrote:

If he's down there its b/c he needs more training. Training is not tied to playing (of any type - majors, minors, spring).

I got the sense that playing time had everything to do developing players in the Majors, hence the statistics of PA & BF in the Training Period is even accounted for. Have I been wrong?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
He is talking about the minors specifically. Players can receive Experience and Training. They only receive Experience in the majors (and during Spring Training), and Experience is 100% based on playing time. I do not believe that Training however is based on playing time at all. Steve has told us that you still get a small amount of Training in the majors just sitting on the bench. We don't believe that Training is affected by playing time in the minors, although we can't say with absolute certainty that there is no effect. If there is an effect it is small.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Ya, what Rock777 said.

Player SI = SI drafted with + Training SI + Experience SI

If you have a player ready for the majors still in the minors, it is because you believe he needs more training in order for experience to max out his skills. (Or you just don't have a spot for him :) ).

Apologies if my post above seemed nit-picky. I feel minor league playing time affecting training is a common (and natural) misconception. Didn't want folks to get that idea.

On an unrelated note Rock777, Dinos were happy to pick up Nieto. (Our pitching pipeline is a little dreary). His low HR rate was a big selling point. Gave up 2 HRs in his first 4 IP as a Dino. :) Settling down a bit now tho.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, I liked him, but I needed to make some room. I never seem to have a problem finding pitchers, although this year all my pitchers have hit the fan...
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Not always a "knowable" - but I look at AAA SI pops post "majors rec" more than time.
(PS. Double check your lower minors' rec levels)

Having both gone with vets too long trying to fight for 4th place and staring the youth movement too soon, I'm putting the best lineup on the big field as much as possible.

Continuing the unrelated note:
Thanks Dinos - If James can come anything close to his uncle's age 29-32 seasons he's going to be a godsend while my younger arms mature ... he gave up a HR vs the first batter he faced + stayed in a few pitches bit too long ... but the middle part was nice.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I hope he pitches well for you. He was an interesting player. I had high hopes for him. Thought his build would play.

I tried him as a starter his first 2.5 seasons. It went very poorly. I almost cut him then but decided to try him in the bullpen. He found his groove and was great for 2.5 seasons.

And then he lost it. Both WHIP and HRs returned to his starter levels. He was borderline unplayable last season, and worse this season.

If he can get his WHIP down, then the HRs may be tolerable.

Previous Page | Show All |