Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Minor League Pitchers   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
ccbobby

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Simple Question:

Why are minor league pitchers with obvious stamina issues inserted into starting rolls?
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
How many minor league pitchers have stamina suitable for starting?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Teams are randomly generated from all available players at a given level (e.g. AA). Then the AI makes a determination who should start. As Seca said, there aren't really a lot of minor leaguers with high stamina (especially lower leagues), so comparatively the guy with the most is most likely to start.
ccbobby

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If the game is not providing enough young drafted players with stamina suitable to pitch as starters, then that becomes the fault of the game. Which sounds like what you are both suggesting. The game really should address this situation.

IRL NCAA teams will identify pitchers skills as such and tailor training around that player accordingly for the purpose each will serve. Years ago MLB in it's wisdom designed the AAA-Rookie League concept to instill confidence in players, so as not to force players to play beyond their current ability. It has proven to be a very successful formula over the years.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Why single out stamina? 19 year olds don't throw 81-82 in rookie ball and work their way up to 95-96 by AAA.

The skills should be viewed in the context of the level. 7-8 is rookie ball's 19-20. 3-4 is rookie ball's 12-13. And just like RL, if you don't have a guy with enough stamina to start, put anybody out there (see Rays, Tampa Bay).
ccbobby

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My beef with this is the way this game handles minor players. I recruit a college player.. player has stated stamina issues, confirmed when examining his previous stamina experience. Off he goes to Rookie league and several weeks later I ck on his progress.

ERA 8.75, several listed starts. I have no way to evaluate his ability, growth, progress, as he has been misused as a starter. Can't view game by game files to view the extent of abuse. Bigger problem is that this trend will continue through all levels of the minors. So he remains a unknown as to your initial intended use of him as a relief pitcher.

Interesting you mention the Rays. Yes, times have changed and long term goals scrapped in favor of the play today concept. Hell, if Babe Ruth were playing today he would be under constant demand to change his name, as females find it offensive.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I assume that is a hypothetical since you don't have anyone like that on your team. In fact both your pitchers in A and Rookie have a lot of stamina.

No player can truly be judged at the rookie level. If you are pulling the trigger at the rookie level for any player you are doing yourself a disservice. You are also assuming that stamina has a significant effect on minor league performance. Overall, you need to take minors performance with a grain of salt. I've had guys who dominated AAA players, but gave up 50 HRs in the majors. You want to look for tenancies, and (maybe) performance over a long haul. Rookie stats are meaningless.
ccbobby

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Not a hypothetical. Teaching here in Asia, 11 Asian boys who had never held a baseball or even seen a game played before, the game of baseball. They have 4 teams in BB their learning from. This thread question was asked by 3 who were astute enough to notice it.

Previous Page | Show All |