Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Training during this Partial-Spring, Partial-Regular Season Week   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Hallo,

OK so there's something that's always bothered me about this one week in the BB calendar: We have several games of Spring remaining, followed by Cup & Regular Season. So this week is a mixed bag of Spring and Regular Season games.

I say this because we know that a player receives training only for the level he's at come Friday Training Update. Meaning, if I have a player who plays 10 games in the Majors and 10 games in AAA over the course of the week, he will receive training only for the level he is at come Friday Training Update (majors or aaa).

Further more, I believe we know that Spring Training games provide Majors-level training, not Minors-level training.

So the question is:
If I play my minor league prospects in these final Spring Training games this week, then leave them in the minors for the rest of the week, I feel like I am totally wasting Spring innings on them since they won't get training credit for them come next Friday.

I feel like the thing that has to be done is all my young guys who will be staying in the minors this season should be pulled from these last few Spring games, and I should make sure only Majors-ready guys are playing these last few Spring games, because those guys will be at the Majors level next Friday and be able to benefit from these last few Spring games.

Does this make any sense to you guys? Do you think my logic here holds true? Anyone else ever think about this, during this one weird hybrid week of the BB calendar?

Thx for your time and thoughts

W
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Why would players lose credit for spring training? It's not connected to placement as far as I know. I have used many Major league (AAAA) guys in spring training over the years, and received lots of green arrows on training update 1.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Maybe I'm wrong in my thinking - it's certainly possible :) But I always took as B.B. facts that

1) training progress happened only for time spent during the previous week
at the level the player is at when the training update hits

2) spring training games counted towards major league level training progress

Also - the training update that happened today is Training Update #1 right? So I'm not talking about that one, I'm talking about Training Update #2... which is one week from now.

Because for the next week, my young guys will spend half the week in spring training games and half the week in minor league games.

But I guess your point is still valid, and proves me to not be making any sense, because in Training Update #1 my minor league guys that appeared in Spring games got training arrows... and those guys are obviously still in the minors, so they still got the training credit - so they'd still get it next week.

So I guess, never mind haha. Thanks for putting me back on track :)
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
No worries. Think we are mostly on the same page.

What you are calling "Major league training program" most would call experience. SI gains from experience come from playing in games (league, cup) so it is acquired by ML players. Spring training is a unique opportunity for players below ML to acquire experience

Training happens naturally. Doesn't matter what level you spent the week at - only the level you are at when update fires friday. Minor league games don't affect training (or experience).

The first couple of training updates of the season are pretty spectacular bc minor league guys are double dipping in a way. They are still in their prime training years, but also getting experience at the same time.

I wouldn't think twice about promoting this week. Do it all the time. Really can't imagine there is any harm.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I believe spring training games are a special case and count for experience regardless of where they are at, but you are right that you *normally* would lose that experience.

I believe:

- dropping a player down to AAA before the training update will sacrifice any Experience gained from regular season games (not spring training).

- Players gain the most Training by being at the right level. So moving a guy can impact their training, but only if they aren't at the right level (which the AI recommends under 25 with some level of fuzzy accuracy). Notice that this can mean that an older player may gain more training sitting the bench in the majors than in AAA. Exactly when it is better to sit in the ML or in AAA is unclear.

EDIT: Also, I believe Steve said minor league games have minimal impact on Training. I'm not sure it is no impact at all. Especially in regards to Position Training, but possibly Skill Training too...?

PS: Also related, it is a common newbie mistake (I know I made it) to promote guys to the majors to play in Spring Training. No need to promote. Just raises their salaries.

Updated Friday, August 3 2018 @ 4:51:42 pm PDT

Previous Page | Show All |