Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> WAR: LL Legends S2035   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
ChillFunkEz3000

High Point Shaolin Stars
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Alright guys I took a ‘stab’ at trying to come up with a WAR calculation for season 35 of the LL Legends. It was very simple to pull up offensive and pitching stats to use in the WAR formula, but it was extremely difficult to pull up the individual defensive stats. The main reason being that it is very difficult to isolate players that played in different positions, because the game lacks individual stats page, so it is necessary to individually go to each team statistic page and pull the data there, while offensive and pitching stats is pretty simple to do (just takes a bit of time), the defensive data is much more challenging because of how it is presented. Still with some hours of investment and almost giving up more than once, I managed to come up with something I feel is plausible/credible.
Another challenge to calculate defensive value here is the lack of stats. So I had to use what we have, I used per position:
C: FP + CS% (more weight to CS%)
1B: FP
2B: FP
SS: FP
3B: FP
OF: FP + OA (more weight to FP)

I calculated the average FP per position using only the players that were eligible (reaching the minimum games player at that position). Did the same for CS% and OA. And went from there, where average was given a score (i.e. +1) below average was given another score (i.e. -1) and above average was given another score (i.e. +2). Being that the final defensive score would never exceed +15 or -15.

In terms of pitching, the WAR formula is based on FIP, and is as follows: (13*HR+3*(HBP+BB)-2*K)/IP, plus a constant (the constant I came up with was 2.90. There is a difference from the FIP the game presents from the FIP presented in my calculations, the only explanation I have is perhaps that because I don’t use the ⅓ or ⅔ of the innings, for example, in 2035 the Alexandria Athletics had a total of 1449 ⅓ of innings pitched, but I just used the 1449 to calculate the constant (and the league FIP and league ERA), and I did so with every team, so that can very well be it.

Still I’m pretty pleased with the outcome, I enjoyed doing it but it was very time consuming and it is not likely that I will do it again, but one never knows.

Bellow are the results:

PITCHERS

hKa6VNl.png

-> Pitching Requirements: Minimum of 85 IP

POSITIONAL PLAYERS

VKqRyyE.png

->Position Players Requirements Per Position:
C: Minimum 32 games played at C
1B: Minimum 21 games played at 1B
2B: Minimum 45 games played at 2B
SS: Minimum 52 games played at SS
3B: Minimum 26 games played at 3B
OF: Minimum 42 games played at OF

---

ALL STARS Based on WAR

WEST
P - F. Yoshii (College Station Athletics)
P - S. Jo (Monterey Titans)
P - C. Barber (Battle Creek Sting)
P - X. Pedraza (Battle Creek Sting)
P - R. Ramirez (Broomfield Roadrunners)
C - . Burkett (Novi Doubledays)
1B - E. Navarro (College Station Athletics)
2B - V. Olsen (Novi Doubledays)
SS - E. Casas (Santa Monica Carp)
3B - D. Carlton (Monterey Titans)
OF - J. Kim (College Station Athletics)
OF - N. Caldwell (Broomfield Roadrunners)
OF - R. Greer (Monterey Titans)
DH - F. Clemente (Novi Doubledays)

EAST
P - M. Koch (Margate Magicians)
P - L. Rosa (Raleigh Braves)
P - D. Sanchez (Waterloo Dinosaurs)
P - M. Cedillo (Alexandria Athletics)
P - M. Fanelli (Birmingham Athletics)
C - M. Gómes (Margate Magicians)
1B - Z. Thomason (Raleigh Braves)
2B - J. Jeong (Margate Magicians)
SS - G. McCarty (Waterloo Dinosaurs)
3B - R. Santini (Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers)
OF - J. Pérez (Margate Magicians)
OF - R. Schuler (Waterloo Dinosaurs)
OF - N. Kirk (Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers)
DH - Á. Rosas (Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers)

---

Golden Gloves based on my calculations:

WEST
C: H. Avila (Battle Creek Sting)
1B: J. Velarde (Monterey Titans)
2B: K. McCurdy (Battle Creek Sting)
SS: S. Moran (Battle Creek Sting)
3B: M. Correa (College Station Athletics)
OF: R. Greer (Monterey Titans)
OF: J. Kim (College Station Athletics)
OF: M. Yoshioka (Battle Creek Sting)

EAST
C: A. Rowland (Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers)
1B: Z. Thomason (Raleigh Braves)
2B: J. Hidalgo (Birmingham Athletics)
SS: J. Orozco (Alexandria Athletics)
3B: J. Chapa (Margate Magicians)
OF: T. English (Alexandria Athletics)
OF: E. Campos (Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers)
OF: T. Byrne (Alexandria Athletics)

I think that's it!

EDIT: To add that I did not used any park adjustments on any of the calculations.

Updated Tuesday, July 10 2018 @ 9:23:31 am PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Great job! Looks like an enormous amount of work, the one defensive thing I think you forgot were double plays, particularly for 3B, SS, and 2B. The 1B double plays are inflated, and really although a good stretch can be crucial in making the difference, most of the work is done by the other infielders.

On my team's performance, that lines up pretty much with my evaluations, and the only reason Longoria is still on the team is a complete lack of ability to get a guy who meets my defensive specifications for the position who can also hit.

Updated Tuesday, July 10 2018 @ 10:19:23 am PDT
ChillFunkEz3000

High Point Shaolin Stars
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
@newtman

Thanks! I actually did not forget the double plays for the IF's (I would of given them different weights for sure by position), I thought about including them, but then I considered that it actually could of been extremely unfair to do so, do to the fact that we don't know how many double play opportunities the players had.
So for example a player could've turned 60 DP's in 100 double play opportunities (DPO) which would equal a 60% of double plays turned (DPT), while another player could be turning 70 DP's in 120 DPO which would equal a 58% DPT. So without knowing the DPO I can't calculate the DPT% so it would rate the highest DPT player as the best, which would be unfair IMO. That's why I thought best not to include DP in the calculation.

MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
That is awesome work. It's impossible measuring most defensive performances due to the way the game operates. Only using FPCT and CS% makes perfect sense to me. Incorporating range would seem reasonable. The displayed skill, that is, combined with a position factor.

Again, fantastic work.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My thinking is over the course of a season the most double plays will be turned by the best fielders with the best range. Though if a team isn't carrying any ground-ball pitchers it would definitely affect opportunities like you said.

Previous Page | Show All |