Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Hall of Fame Question   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
toddcates

Baytown Bombers
V.10

Broken Bat Baseball
Why can't I add my retired closer Fred Richardson #103499 to my hall of fame? It offers me the option to add Jesse Burdock, my latest closer, who has far less better numbers than Richardson. I don't get it.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
I had the same problem with my closer. Your's probably didn't have enough Innings Pitched to qualify for the HoF.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Do we need to add a saves treshold so closers can be added to the Hall of Fames?

Steve
toddcates

Baytown Bombers
V.10

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes to a lower IP threshold for closers, or perhaps a different threshold, like games played (since most closers will only pitch 1, at most 2 innings per game played. Burdock pitched 1366 innings over 506 games with 104 saves, and he was only a closer for one season out of 15. Richardson pitched 481 innings over 503 games with 371 saves. He was a two-time all star and was the closer for all of his eleven seasons with Baytown. Richardson is tied for 1st in single season saves for Baytown (49) and owns the Baytown career saves record (367). He also holds the LL VI.20 All Time League Record for saves (367); 100 saves more than the next contender. He certainly deserves to be in Baytown's team hall of fame.
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I vote yes also. I had a closer a few seasons back I wanted to add because he set the BB all time record for single season saves.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 I also vote yes. The metric I’d suggest would be:

If a pitcher has at least half as many combined saves and blown saves as he has games played, and has met the minimum number of games played for the team, he qualifies for the team’s Hall of Fame.

That should do a pretty good job of narrowing down the options to closers.

The real question, regardless of final algorithm, is the number of minimum games to use as the qualifier. If memory serves, batters require a minimum of approximately three-and-a-half seasons to qualify for a team’s Hall of Fame, assuming they play every day.

Closers’ use, on the other hand, is entirely situational. Assume for the moment a team has a .500 record over a closer’s career. How many appearances is it reasonable to expect him to have in a season? Obviously 80 save opportunities per season — once for every win — is unrealistic, since even the best closer isn’t going to get into a game if it was a blowout before ever even getting to the sixth inning where a save could be earned. Half that number, 40, is still fairly ambitious, but not necessarily excessive for a Hall-caliber closer. Over the aforementioned three-and-a-half seasons, that would work out to 140 appearances. Bumping that up to 150 or even 175 wouldn’t be a bad thing, since Hall-caliber closers are more likely to be on winning teams, and even 200 games should still be workable.

Anyway, that’s my two cents’ worth. Everyone feel free to poke at those numbers.

Previous Page | Show All |