Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Released Minors as Major Leaguers   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Champ01

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
As I scroll through free agents, I am surprised by the number of minor leaguers that get released as big leaguers. What I mean is, a 20 y/o pitcher might be in a AA, but the owner promotes them to the big show only to release them. Why? I've never done this, and I am wondering if it is done in spite.

"Since Tommy didn't develop fast enough for me, I am going to show him and make the next owner pay an extra $300,000 per season to take him!"

Is this really the thinking?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I would hazard a guess and say that most players in that situation were promoted for Cup games to get experience, not to cause another team to pay an extra 300k.
mjreichard

New Orleans Knights
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't do this, but I have seen plenty of it, for whatever reasons. I am not nearly interested enough in the Cup to promote minor leaguers and pay them more for a few extra games of experience.

For me, the Cup is a pain in the butt that just untruths my season, but I know that others really like it.

I think sometimes people promote players WAY before they should and then get upset that they don't perform well. You will see somebody promoted at age 22 with 84 SI who struggles and gets released. If they are picked up quickly, and allowed to finish their development in the minors, they may be age 25 with 110+ and ready to produce in the majors for another team...but that team has to be ok investing in $900,000 extra pay for those three years in the minors.
Mcdoogle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Sometimes it's players promoting youth for Cup games, other times it's bot teams promoting players to fill out a major league roster.

I doubt it's out of spite, they're trying to see what they can get out of that player. I think it's fine, if they drop a player I could use and I win them I take that as a win, even with the extra salary.
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
There are certainly a couple of teams that seems to do it religiously, maybe its just lack of knowledge - who knows.
Champ01

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@dsz071 and all who answered: thanks! I hadn't thought (or looked to check even) of the Cup thing. Thanks for the input!

Previous Page | Show All |