Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Hidden Gems   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Forget the superstars for the moment. Who was your unheralded big-time player this time around?

On the pitching side, there's no doubt who mine was. McMillan was used almost exclusively as my LHS. He appeared in a mind-boggling 122 games, going 3-0 with 22 holds, 1 save, and no blown saves. For good measure he got a quality start in his only start. He had a 1.80 ERA and .212 BAA. Yeah, but he was a LHS, right, so that's kind of cheating. Nope. He actually faced more RH batters than LH and he had a .170 BAA versus the righties. One final amazing stat from him is that he only gave up 1 homer all year, which is extremely impressive in my tiny ballpark (310-355-385).

Who was your hidden gem for the season?
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Miranda for me.

You might look at his profile and think "that guy's no slouch", but he'd done very little in his career to this point and in the first iteration of 2035 he got off to a hot start and then faded badly to his usual levels (and gained only 3 SI). This time around he started hot and kept on going, real difference-making season for me that won us promotion to LLIII for the first time (we were a distant second in the first run).
ephenssta

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Danny Broderick for me. Appearing in 40 games, he threw 102 innings with a 2.47 ERA with a .193 BAA, with an incredible .109 vs. LHB. As an added bonus, he gained 15 SI this season.
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Orlando Duran for me.

He finally filled the gaping black hole that was the 2B position on the Vikings, and did so putting up highly impressive numbers. Not really sure how a player with his build slipped through waivers.
JoeDaddyeous91

Kahului Turtles
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/120127
He went to an all-star game for the first time in his career!
He has been a career .272 batter, which has been fantastic, but really blew everybody away this year by hitting a full 0.074 better than his career average (0.346 on the year). He also had his best year behind the plate, picking off 0.067 more runners than his career average. We aren’t sure what light a fire under him this year, but in 2035 take 1 he got cut because he was having the worst season of his life! Quite the turnaround especially since my crystal ball gave me insight into what I thought he was going to do!
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball

MukilteoMike wrote:

Forget the superstars for the moment. Who was your unheralded big-time player this time around?

On the pitching side, there's no doubt who mine was. McMillan was used almost exclusively as my LHS

He's been drafted by Laredo!
How 'bout that! :)
McMillan lasted as much as one day, as a LH RP

Kudos for developing him (it took only 10 seasons ;) )

Updated Saturday, May 5 2018 @ 12:54:32 am PDT
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
He's going to be asked to do quite a bit more next season. Well, at least in innings pitched. There really is no room for improvement in terms of effectiveness. He only has 5 stamina, so I probably won't try getting him much more than 90 IP. We'll see. Oh, and I'd gladly spend the majority of a decade developing a player to get 5 or 6 quality years out of him. Since his SI topped 90, he's only given up 2 homers in 100 innings. Yes, thank you!
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
HR allowed is an hidden trait, I feel.
I've seen plenty of exceptions (compared to visible skills) both in better as in worse

Good he turned out well
I'm not envious: I got my own share of bargains through the years ;)

Previous Page | Show All |