Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Hasn't played yet   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
12twelve

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm looking for some help figuring out why one of my pitchers has yet to throw a pitch this season. Tommy Sexton has been on the ML roster all year and is slotted as LR2 but has never entered a game. I can't figure out why. All of the settings seem ok. My pitching has been pretty good all season but I'd expect him to have a few appearances. Anyone have an idea what I'm missing here? Thanks.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It's hard to say without knowing your settings. Since he's the second long reliever, he'll only get in if your LR doesn't finish the game.
12twelve

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Settings are:

Pitch Count = 90; Fatigue = blank; Hook = 5; First inning = 1; both RD are Delta.

My starters have pitch limits that range from 95 - 125. Both long and middle relief have First inning set to 1. My RHS, Setup, and Closer have first innings of 6, 7, and 8, respectively. All pitchers have Hook of 7 except the pitcher in question and RHS.

Is it possible that there just hasn't been a scenario in which he would need to come in? I guess I do have a team ERA of 3.04 and my starters generally go 6+. It just seems odd that he wouldn't have thrown a single pitch all season.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, you have to go through everyone to get to him. You'll either have to change your settings or simply bounce your long relievers from LR to LR2 back and forth to get them both innings. If you're basically wanting him as a mop-up guy, you could try making the first RD for your MR and LR something like -5. That should get him in once in a while.
JoeDaddyeous91

Kahului Turtles
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Just in case you haven't seen this.

This is a description of how the relief pitching substitution mechanism works in the current game engine. Hopefully it will give you some insight into how and why a pitching change is made.

Relief pitcher check is run before each batter:

If Save Situation (except for no-hitter)
If Closer Assigned and Available (not injured) and Not Fatigued1 and Not Too Earlier2
Replace current pitcher with closer

If Current Pitcher's Pitch Count or Hook Settings exceeded
If Close Game (trailing by no more than 4 runs [or Smallest RD] or leading by no more than 5 runs [or Largest RD])
Check bullpen in the following order: LHP1/LHP2 versus LHB, RHP1/RPH2 versus RHB, Setupman1/2
If Pitcher Available (not injured) and Not Fatigued1 and Not Too Earlier2
Replace current pitcher
Check remaining bullpen in the following order: MR1/MR2, LR1/LR2, Spot Starter (not checked for 6-man rotations)
If Pitcher Available (not injured) and Not Fatigued1 and Not Too Earlier2
Replace current pitcher

If Excessive Pitch Count3
Check bullpen in the following order: SS, LR1/LR2, MR1/MR2, Setupman1/2, RHP1/RPH2, LHP1/LHP2, Closer, Unassigned
If Pitcher Available (not injured) and Not Fatigued1
Replace current pitcher
Check bullpen in the following order: SS, LR1/LR2, MR1/MR2, Setupman1/2, RHP1/RPH2, LHP1/LHP2, Closer, Unassigned
If Pitcher Available (not injured)
Replace current pitcher

1 - Whether a pitcher is fatigued from previous appearances is dependent upon the amount of pitches he threw, how much rest he's had since and the Fatigue Limit management setting for the pitcher

2 - Too ealier is before First Inning Used management setting for that pitcher

3 - Excessive pitch count is defined as above 155 for starting pitchers and 105 for relief pitchers. This is a different mechanism than the Pitch Count management setting. It's basic function is to limit pitchers from throwing an unrealistic number of pitches just because the bullpen is fatigued or thin.

Previous Page | Show All |