Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> 2035 Training Chatter   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Good insight Skoormit. The answer to that question is definitely no, I don't want that guy. Not worth a roster spot.

I've noticed more guys around recently who can consistently launch 30+ HRs without much power. Sneaking suspicion Barnett might be one of those guys. But I think its too much of a gamble to be worth the investment developing him to find out.
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I’d keep Barnett around, he seems pretty decent to me as a DH/1B. Keep an eye on his minors performance would be my suggestion, and see if he keeps up the good work.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Do you like Barnett better than Arnett?

They seem mutually exclusive. Arnett has decent starting skills. He might tear up the lower minors too.
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh, I didn’t see Arnett.

In that case yeah, Barnett becomes redundnat.
Skoormit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Arnett's two tools are HIT and POW.

He's an atrocious fielder with no range and an arm that could probably break a window, but not much else. That makes him a 1B/DH candidate, and usable only in an emergency at C or 3B.

Which means he better have a huge bat to justify a roster spot at all.

The question is will he have enough BC and PD to put his HIT and POW to use?

If he reaches his minimum scouted HIT and POW, and if he improves the one point in fielding that he possibly can as an atrocious fielder, he's a 18-x-x-17-9-6-9-12.
That's 71 points, which leaves 17-24 points for BC+PD (plus any points he gets over his scouted minimums in HIT and POW).
If he ends up on the low end of that range, or too many of those remaining points go into HIT/POT, he probably doesn't prove productive enough. If he ends up on the high end of that, he's okay. Maybe you can find some comps among current players.

If only he had POT 12, with everything else the same, am I right? Eight more SI to distribute between HIT,BC,PD,and POW would make a big difference. He'd be a near-lock to be useful, and something more than a longshot to be a minor beast. 20-14-14-19-9-6-9-12? Don't mind if I do.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I know I bring him up a lot, but here's a major league comp: Flynn

Your guy has 20 SI more than Flynn did at your guys age, so he's got a bigger head start, maybe ready for majors sooner?

Your guy will theoretically have a few more SI go into POWER than Flynn did.

Your guy's twice as fast as Flynn, with roughly the same range, with about twice the arm strength.. so there's like 6-7-ish SI lost there.

Your guy will have a lower fielding, so SI saved there.

Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Great discussion. Thanks guys. :)

For me, the 11 pot increases the chances he's a "low" great or "low" prolific. 16-17 instead of 18-19. Sure, there are guys like Flynn that get to 19 hit with 11 pot. But to me it makes sense that having fewer points overall makes it a little harder for any skills to be elite.

BC and PD are nice, but I think its more important how the package comes together. Boyd and Taylor are virtual twins. Have been in my system together for ages. Boyd I consider an excellent prospect. Taylor is likely a cut this week. The difference is how their BC & PD played out. Boyd is PD > BC. His GB:FB favours FB. Taylor is BC > PD. His GB:FB is tilted to GBs. I have much more confidence Boyd will hit with power than Taylor.

Back to Barnett. He had 0.8 GB:FB through his first two seasons. He's got an uppercut swing. I think its conceivable he could turn out to be a better power hitter than Arnett (ie., if Arnett were to go BC >> PD). Hit tools could end up quite similar.

I find it intriguing. Things like GB:FB can shift as the player develops. You often don't know much until AAA, and by then you have so deeply invested you are compelled to use the player even if you don't really like how he's turned out.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Feel I should add that the BC PD GB FB thing is a weak connection. So many exceptions that they aren't really exceptions. :)
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I like Arnett a lot more than Barnett, and I'm one who basically ignores 11 POT players. Arnett may turn out with an 18-17-8-17 line if he maxes, which despite the poor PD would make him a real asset at DH. I don't really like high speed guys who can't steal bases, as there's only so much difference it can then make on the base paths - scoring from first on a double? From second on a single? Some games almost anyone can do that.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
This week's training update in Covallis brought to you by Peaties, the breakfast of pitchers.

Updated Friday, March 16 2018 @ 8:25:56 am PDT

Previous Page | Show All |