Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Why is Broken Bat so Pitching Oriented?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
jetsrock48

Davenport Cobras
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I see so many hitters with great skills that don't seem to translate on the field. I'm not referring to the lower levels (IV - VI leagues) but rather the top three leagues.

In the MLB there is elite pitching, but we still see players constantly hitting over .300 with a few players who have .OBP hovering between .375 - .400 and more and more players with slugging >.500

I feel like in Broken Bat, once you get to League II it becomes so much more pitching dominant. You can compare the pitchers in the game to the ones at the MLB level, but the hitters who have great skills just start hitting at average levels. I'm currently in League II and went to check out the league leaders: two guys hit over .300, 7 guys with OBP over .350, and 6 guys with SLG over .500.

Last year: 3 guys at .300 or better, 10 guys at .350 OBP or better, and 8 guys at .500 SLG or better.

Does this just happen to be a more pitching-oriented league or are hitters just not performing to where they should?
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
In the upper levels you aren't just seeing elite pitching; you are also seeing elite defenses.

The same match engine grinds out both II games with 15 pot starting pitchers and 19 range SSs and VI games with 11 pot starting pitchers and 7 range LHT SSs. If it were tuned to churn out the numbers you are looking for in II, guys in VI would be batting .600. (<-- made up number)

I think the match engine does pretty well given the delta in pitching and defense. You kind of get used to offensive numbers being a little bit lower. Dinos led (tied) Legends East in runs scored this season. Didn't have a .300 batter. Didn't have a 20 HR hitter.

A caveat is that it puts a premium on real offensive talents that can consistently succeed in that environment. Successful upper league teams are often very reliant on 1-2 players to generate the offense.

Previous Page | Show All |