Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> If you could?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
We're almost a whole season past the mega-training update. Any regrets? Would any of you wish it would have been redone? Or has it turned into a major blessing from the BrokenBat gods? And now looking at the tremendous affects it has had on teams, especially minors, in retrospect would you redo it?

Me? I had from the start not been in love with it, but I didn't think it was that awful. But as the season progressed I have come to face the cold truth. MTU has seriously screwed my team. So much as I really don't know what to do anymore. Ten out of my twenty minor leaguers are demanding promotions and some of them have been since spring training. My young major leaguers have had serious training issues, anyhow for the most part, there's been a few bright spots. Dan Beane has been another training disappointment. Didn't gain a single pop since TU4. Pappalardo has been training impressively and has been a huge bright spot, and we'll see if he reaches his base potential of 120 SI. Garza hasn't gained a pop since TU6 hopefully he's not done. Matias Carabello gained five SI during MTU, but has only gained three since that despite 300 at-bats. Ledford hasn't been much better. Three pops during MTU, two since.

"Shrug"

Also If anybody wants to dump a little time into my team, and give me some advice I'd really appreciate it. Who to promote, who to leave for a while longer, who to cut etcetera. I know I'm supposed to be a veteran manager, but I do rather have a mess on my hands. :)

Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
That's a conundrum. You've basically got at least 38 guys to fill at most 30 spots. I doubt you are the only one who has a logjam at AAA and young minor leaguers. I think the more planning an owner has done, the more likely he is negatively impacted like this. Several owners who had long term minor league plans basically had them dashed. I have a bit of a logjam but it could be so much worse. Or I have already dealt with most of it.

In many ways it's time for owners to do what they can with the big club, be that youth movement or pass on developing some young players. And start rebuilding the minor leagues.

I think it's unfortunate, especially in your and a few others positions. I would prefer it never happened but a reset would have been unsatisfactory to me as well. It's an era we will all have to cope with. It's a matter of deciding how many guys you want to break in at the bigs and which guys became redundant.

Edit: I made a few of those tough decisions on my pitchers mid season. That alone made my life simpler. And it was fun to watch the claims pile up on those guys.

Updated Sunday, December 17 2017 @ 1:30:39 pm PST
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Think this is going to prove an opportunity for teams with less talent on their roster.

Most (Dinos included) I suspect muddled through this season without really making any decisions. Come next season cuts are going to start happening. Be they veteran players released closer to their prime (to make room for prospects) or solid ML ready prospects that are dupes.

May see a couple seasons with above average talent moving through the waiver wire. Likely followed up with several pretty tight ones.

It hits the Dinos fairly hard. We had a couple poor draft seasons leading into this year. Our lower minors were already underpopulated. This just makes it worse. Not necessarily a mortal blow, but does add additional pressure to the next couple of draft classes to restock. (Thankfully this season was an excellent draft for Waterloo).
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Same story in Novi. Glut of mostly redundant prospects that are all stuck in the door between AAA and the majors.

Have to see which ones seem like they can play and trim the rest. Iffy at best as good players who are slow out of the blocks might blossom into better players than the ones I keep.

Not an ideal situation, but coupled with that waiver snafu, I'd probably have been happier with a clean restart. As it is, a generation of players will be a bit...off.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I welcomed the MTU - there was no chance of going back, so it was best to embrace it and move forward. It helped my few under-developed guys (Soto, Sanchez, Otero) like it helped a lot of Latin players. But like many owners it accelerated a bunch of people and created a logjam in places, which I've sat on and will have to deal with this next offseason. I had a bunch of guys get the call to the bigs this season who I then kept down for 2-4 updates just to make sure they were ready when moved up. Some may still go back down to AAA for the Spring.

I've mentioned this elsewhere but my MI positions, once a desert, are now clogged with majors-ready players.

Starters - 2B: Gaytan, SS: Barry.

Armando and "Big Bad" (you should totally Google image search for "Big Bad Barry" for my inspiration, and yes I do have kids!) have been rock solid for me, despite their obvious deficiencies in certain areas. It might simply be best for me to move on from them, say for salary reasons alone, but especially when you consider what's behind them:-

2B

Applegate: Late round find who was meant to be Gaytan's backup (and who kept making SI gains this season every time I considered cutting him), and possible transition piece until...

Jacobs came along. Thanks to the MTU Joltin' Johnnie is now ready. Which would make Gaytan or Applegate (or both) redundant. Of course these guys are all righty batters so maybe I could platoon one with...

SS

Jensen: A lefty hitter who also steals bases, Gus can also play SS, which would make him an ideal backup for Barry. Only...

Suzuki: Already backs up Barry, and can cover 2B too (think he just dropped his 2b tag, oops). May be the best defender at SS from these guys, so could replace Barry now if not for...

Gann: "Prime Time" is my mega-prospect, and as a switch-hitting 16 POT will play full time (barring injury). I did train him some at 3B as a possible replacement for Ortiz, the heart of my team who will turn 33 next season.

So 2B Jacobs and SS Gann full time next season looks like an idea, or I could DH Ortiz and play Gann at 3B (though Hampton could hold that down), which would mean Suzuki or Jensen (or both, in a platoon) at SS. Applegate could still stick if I cut my vets, but...all these youngsters, it may be ugly in the early going.

It sounds like I just answered my own questions, but I'd certainly entertain some more thoughts!
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I didn't get much bonus training at all from the mega update, but I also haven't been hurt much by it. It's killed the development of a couple of bad prospects, but my minors were so bad, and my few prospects that were any good had just been promoted, so the net result is that not much happened.

The update ruined Jolly and perhaps one or two other guys, but I'm not crying over it.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Very few of my players received the mega training, so it didn't impact me very much.

Previous Page | Show All |