Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Hot vs Cold   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Valmion

Port Arthur Pirates
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Could one of you long time vets please give me any info on what causes a player to be hot or cold. Is it random, or are there causes that one can try to manage against?

newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hot vs Cold is literally based solely on a position player's previous 50 ABs or a pitcher's previous 3 appearances. It is a reactive measure to help us keep track of "What have you done for me lately?" not a predictive measure for the future. The causes of that performance to be hot or cold are too many to list here, but include player skills, the skills of the players that your player has faced, RNG, weather, ballparks, etc.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
The causes of that performance to be hot or cold are too many to list here,

My single biggest question about BrokenBat is if one of the causes is a hidden form variable. Many games of this genre have a form trait that (in some cases) significantly impact player performance (eg., Hattrick).

Its impossible to tell. Any observations one could make that suggest a form variable could easily be explained by a run of RNG.

I manage my team as if there is a form variable. For example, if a reliever gets rocked a couple games in a row he gets moved to a lesser role (or unassigned entirely). A series or two later I reinstate him and see if he does better.

(And to reiterate Newtman, the form we see on the player card is not this form variable; it is a reflection of recent play and not necessarily predictive).

Updated Friday, November 17 2017 @ 8:28:53 am PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Its also possible that some players do better at different times of the year. A possible hidden trait. If someone wanted to take the time to track all the data, it could be an interesting find. Too much work for me though.

As Newtman and Seca mentioned, its tracking history though. So just because a guy had a bad June doesn't mean anything as to how he will do in July or the rest of the year.

Sometimes people question why their player is Cold all year. A bad player will perform poorly, and that will reflect as Cold. So even if the guy is at the top of his game, if he isn't good, its going to show up as Cold.

Updated Friday, November 17 2017 @ 2:10:34 pm PST

Previous Page | Show All |