Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Lets play “Have I made a terrible mistake?”   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I think Cohen might be even better than Esquival to be honest
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I have no faith in Cohen but he's very attractive. He was certainly shiny when I won him on a 1/47 claim. I hope Ezquivel has a good career somewhere but it wasn't going to happen in Kalamazoo.
Meccanodonte

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It could be particularly frustrating a SP with so low movement.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@Meccanodonte: I agree! I'll also add in that it takes a lot, not just a little, to compensate for that low movement. My poster child is Stuart Dunbar, who has incredible everything but Movement. And even then you still stand a risk of a 2033! Buyer beware.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
@Freddy - Far be it from me to question the All-Seeing Eye, but why are you training Knight at SS? The Range and Arm fine, but that poor fielding report is surely an absolute liability? He's a pure CF for me.

As to SPs with low Movement, I present Knepper, who is so homer prone I eventually moved him to the bullpen. That 2030 season promised so much...
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Almaric: You are correct, I have made that change thx!
The oversight was excusable until Boucher showed up but all things considered you are probably right either way.

Edit: funny thing is, I never even considered it a possibility lol. He was a later draft pick and I just thought sweet, a back up SS, pinch runner, pinch hitter all in one. An OF tag will make him much more useful especially if his hitting pans out. I've always had trouble finding middle infielders so that is what I seek.
Until the other day I didn't even have a 2B in my minors at all.

Updated Saturday, November 11 2017 @ 5:40:49 pm PST
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Mariano Quinoñes is a player I dropped because I didn't like his negative control report. " Have I made a terrible mistake?"

Updated Saturday, November 11 2017 @ 8:07:00 pm PST

Updated Saturday, November 11 2017 @ 8:08:05 pm PST

Updated Saturday, November 11 2017 @ 8:09:06 pm PST
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Here’s Dans player: http://brokenbat.org/player/154871

An interesting player. I think most people would say having a negative control report is maybe the 2nd worst thing a pitcher can have (the 1st being no movement). And below average control might be excusable in a SP that is otherwise great bc over the course of a game he could make up for the lower control. But most people will probably say that “lacking” control is a tough pill to swallow.

Then again, Peters is the best SP I’ve had since I took control of my team, and he’s got “lacking” control. And I absolutely adore him. Of course, he’s POT 14 and has quite nice other pitching ratings.

My rule is no negative control comments of any kind, unless it’s a VERY special SP.

Updated Saturday, November 11 2017 @ 8:18:12 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Quinoñes is also 23 in A. So its likely he will never pan out anyhow.
nemesis

Brooklyn Dodgers
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I also tend to avoid pitchers with negative control reports but, as we all know, pitching is hard to find and Quinones has enough of an interesting report - unhittable fastball, exceptional curve, 13 POT - to warrant a look. The mega update helped him this season and I think he'll be up to AA very soon, which would mean he'll be up in the bigs around age 25-26.

What I also really liked about him: extreme groundball pitcher (1.56 GB/FB)...and one home run allowed every 45 IP (8HR/355IP)!! Will have to see if that stands up at higher levels, of course.

Previous Page | Show All |