Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Soliciting Opinions - Grooming Prospect for 3B   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Hi guys,

As always, I always appreciate how we all are so willing to share advice and opinions here.

I have a prospect, Ernesto Visquel, who is a 21y POT 13 with a 20 arm and Amazing Fielding and Very Good Hitter scouting report. He's got no range. I'm grooming him for 3B.

My concerns about him are about his currently low offensive ratings given his age (7/4/4/7), as well as his current place in the minors (A). I feel like, compared to other prospects his age, his offensive ratings are low and his overall SI is low.

I'm having a hard time identifying people in my minor league system that deserve to be cut, which is an excellent problem to have. How do you all feel about this guy? Is he behind schedule in his development? Too behind schedule to envision being worth it? Or am I grasping at straws and he's a fine 3B prospect?

Thanks for your time!

Jeff
Bridger

Muncie Flyers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I would like a 21yo NP prospect to be at a minimum of 70 by the end of the season...you probably will be a few points short of that. Not the end of the world, but he won't reach his potential until late in his career if at all.

Growth seems slow early in his career other than the steroid boost he got update 1 of this season. That makes his suboptimal SI even scarier.

He projects to roughly 17/12/12/15 9 16/7/20. That range is rough for a 3B, but otherwise you have a strong 13 pot 3B.

I probably wouldn't keep him in my system, but I don't think it would be crazy to hold on to him and see if he picks up his training pace in the next couple seasons.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Ya. Its hard to evaluate his growth. He really hasn't been around all that long, and the blip at the beginning of this season adds more noise to a small sample.

I think many managers would see him as a dream 3B. I'm with Bridger - I think range is a bit of a thing at 3B. I look at him and see multiple gold gloves at C. 20 arm at C is da bomb.

C is a position that grows in importance as you promote. I think Bridger's projected offensive skills are fine for a premium defensive catcher. I suspect he will make those projections, but 20 year old Latin draftees always have some risk.

I would love a prospect like that in my system. Will trade you Foster or Brockman (my RHB C prospects) or both for him.

Previous Page | Show All |