Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Which SS would you choose?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
If you were a rebuilding LL6 team like me, with an eye to the future.

Some additional context:

1) I have this guy in the minors as a potential SS (or 2B) in the future, but he's several seasons away.

2) I was horrendous last season. This season I'll be better, but I'm still aiming for 2035 as the real beginning of my competitiveness.

I currently have Conti as my starting major league shortstop. He's a 12 POT 25 year old, and his defensive potential is ridiculous. If his fielding pans out, he could be a 17-20/17/18 defensive shortstop. But his offense is nonexistent, so by going with him I'm accepting absolute zero offensive production from his spot in the lineup.

I also have Peters on my bench. He's a 14 POT 27 y/o that's approaching the end of his development. His offense is better than Conti. He's got pop, but poor hitting and poor GB/FB, so I don't expect homers. But he'll walk more and bunt better, and he'll get the occasional hit. His fielding and range are great (17/17) but his arm is a bit weak for SS (11).

I'm starting Conti at SS throughout Spring Training with the hope that he'll have a nice training update. And I've convinced myself to accept zero offensive production from him in exchange for 19/17/18 defense at SS. But I'm beginning to have doubts about whether Peters or Conti should be at SS when the season starts.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Jeff

Updated Sunday, October 15 2017 @ 1:33:39 pm PDT

Updated Sunday, October 15 2017 @ 1:35:09 pm PDT
wil_m

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Conti's defensive potential is wonderful but he may be stunted. He did not have any time at AAA. His fielding rating is all ready lagging behind what it most likely should be for “amazing.” He probably will not reach the 18 or 19 fielding rating. So Conti may give up much more errors than what one might expect – especially right now for this season given that he is currently at 8 for fielding. He is definitely showing signs of being stunted.

My Thoughts are that until you can land a better armed shortstop, Peters may be your best option. I also have a weak arm shortstop similar to Peters. That is what I am doing – playing a weak arm shortstop until I can get a better option.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Peters is definitely better suited to 2B, but certainly could cover SS if you need him to. Do you have another guy for 2B?

You could put Conti down to AAA for the year. Probably the best way to develop him, but his offensive potential is so horrible, he seems like a waste of time to me.

I'd give the spring innings to either the 20 year old to help his development, or Peters if you want him to improve his fielding ability at SS.
Herp Derp

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Peters looks a little like David Eckstein with some pop.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@rock I have McHenry starting the season on my big league club at 2B and I think he'll be there for a while.

It seems such a shame for Conti to be stunted even to the point that his defense never materialized. At normal development, he would have been a sweet non-hitting SS.

I might have to bid him farewell :(

But other than Cornejo (who I mentioned in the original post) I don't have any prospects suited for 2B or SS.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If I had 5 more roster spots I would pick up Conti just to put at AAA for a couple of seasons to see if he could pan out. Unfortunately he would never make it on the field for my team as Izzy and Lopez have SS nailed down until Canada arrives.
Noodle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I find SS to be by far the hardest position to fill in this game. A good one has to have fielding, range, arm, speed, plus provide something on offense. I bet most owners here don't have a SS that can check off all those boxes.

That being said I'd stick with Peters, despite his weak arm IMO he is your best option. I'd be scouting the waiver wire for upgrades though.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Peters really isn't a bad SS. While it is valuable, I think Arm is the least important of the defensive skills for SS.

Previous Page | Show All |