Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> 2034 Cup   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm excited... in addition to getting to play JJNZ and Favuz for the first time in league play, I get to play Tiger504 for I believe the first time in my cup group.

Going to be interesting to see if someone else in the group can knock Kalamazoo or myself out in the group stage.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Newt, I too am looking forward to this cup and this season. My plan/hope is to qualify in the first 16 games of cup before our series, fingers crossed. It should be a very interesting season indeed :)
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Awesome, four LL VI teams and a LL V team for my cup group. This should be ridiculously easy to qualify considering how hard the group was last year when we still pulled 15 wins.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 I have a group with one IV, two Vs, and two other VIs. I think Indianapolis looks to be the strongest team of the bunch; their pitching is just nasty. Port Arthur, Youngstown, and Deerfield Beach are going to be battling it out for second, probably.
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm in a group where there are five VI teams. Muskegon looks to be the strongest out of the VI teams in my group.
ephenssta

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm in a pretty easy group, I think. Unfortunately, I have no pitching and an offense with an average age of 26. I don't plan on doing anything barring some miracles in the cup this season.
Herp Derp

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Tough draw for my young bunch.

The other teams in my group by league level and overall rank:

LL2 - #14
LL3 - #34
LL3 - #38
LL5 - #182
LL4 - #286

And then there's me:
LL6 - #446

No big deal. Last season got me used to being the whipping boy.
And it'll be a good opportunity to possibly steal a few games and get my ranking way higher without the risk of dropping too much lower.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
How does that work, Derp? If you win cup games against a much higher ranked opponent, you get big ranking increases? Even if you don't make it out of the first round of the cup... simply winning cup games against higher ranked teams gives you nice ranking gains?
Herp Derp

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
That seems to be how it works. Maybe someone who has been around longer can give you more on that.

But, I've noticed big gains in rank when beating a much higher ranked opponent and very modest decreases in rank when losing to them.
Also modest gains when beating a low ranked team but big drops when losing to them.

---

Like, if I can win one game out of four against any of the three teams in my group who are in Casey's Top 40, I would still expect my rank to rise a bit.

And it's not just for Cup games; it works in the regular season too... I think it's just that most teams you play in the regular season won't be too far above or below you.

Updated Monday, October 16 2017 @ 9:43:09 am PDT
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I believe it is based on Elo system. If a high rank (H) plays with a low rank (L) and H wins, H gains a small amount of points, and L loses the same amount. If L upsets H and wins, he gets a lot of points, and H loses a lot of points.
So yes, this is how ratings work.

Previous Page | Show All |