Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Rebuilding - Which 1B would you chooose?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Lopez

Garza

At the moment, I've got them platooned L/R. But I'm leaning toward Lopez as the full time 1B, because he has 13POT and very good hitting, in comparison to Garzas 12POT and only "good hitting" (and Garza is almost out of SI development room), even though Garza has prolific slugging.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
It seems to me, I could be wrong, I am a newb, that Lopez is underdeveloped for his age. 26 and only 77? Missing 2032 for development seems to have hurt him. Plus he hasn't even gone through AAA yet, so I doubt if he's ready for the majors. I would pick Garza.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That's interesting... have Lopez spend his age 26 season in AAA, since he never really got any AAA time. I wonder what the general consensus is here among veteran BB players: is it a good idea to force a 26 y/o to spend a year in AAA if he's never gotten any AAA time? Or at that point should you start him in the majors enliven though he is pretty badly underdeveloped?
boltsman

Eden Prairie Wolves
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
It seems that you have a decent 1B prospect coming up the pipe in Alfredo Mejia. Now if your long term plan is to have someone who can hit very well in that spot, then whoever you stick in your lineup this season is just a short term fix. In this case, I would prefer Garza because he is almost fully developed now, and can give you a couple season of passable numbers before you get rid of him.

This is where my team building philosophy differs from a lot of people. What's the point of developing someone like Lopez if you spend 2-3 years on him, and "maybe" he turned out to a replacement level player, who you would probably cut in a year or two because he will be making too much to your liking.
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
To be honest, I think I prefer "good hitter" and "prolific slugger" from a left-handed bat to the RHB's profile.

Lopez' development does look to be behind the curve, but players can catch up really fast when they're given a starting job outright.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, based on your guys' comments and on me staring at the two of them for an hour I decided to put Lopez in AAA and hope he will regain his development with a full year starting there. I think he's too messed up to get a full year in the majors.

Garza gets the starting nod this year, although I'm going to have to keep an eye on Mason as a potential backup/platoon 1B in the majors this year. I hadn't considered him at first...
TexasSeraphim

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Garza:

1. 1st Basemen need to be LH.
2. 1st Basemen need to have some pop.
3. 1st Basemen do not need speed, but defense.

I am new, but not new to loving the game and I try to manage my positions on ideal play attributes in real life based on my finances.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not really enamored with either of those guys. Garza looks like a perennial under performer, and Lopez is SEVERELY underdeveloped. If you want to hang onto Lopez, he really belongs in AA right now...

I'd keep my eyes on the transfer market for a better prospect.

wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'll definitely be watching the Waivers... and who knows, I might win a waiver during Spring Training. I've got a bunch of claims in, but all my remaining claims have a high amount of competing claims, so I could feasibly not win another claim this offseason.

As far as the 1B situation, I wound up putting Lopez in AAA. And I actually made Garza my backup 1B and OF, to get him some at bats, and made Mason my starting 1B. I think he has the most potential. But I agree, it'd be nice to find a better 1B solution on Waivers.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
You've made the right moves (I'd cut Lopez, waste of time), but watch how Mason does against RHP - his track record in the minors against righties isn't great.

Previous Page | Show All |