Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> 2033 Draft Round 1   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

No choice between position builds/pitchers/etc. I desperately need some good position players. Yet I had a draft board last year consisting of seven pitchers and only three hitters.

I'm in the exact opposite boat... I seriously need young pitchers to develop instead of picking up everyone's castoffs and hoping for the best. This round I had 2 pitchers tp choose from one "good" that will always be wild. I would love the choice of pitcher or fielder.
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm all for being able to choose by positions to draft. Yes yes I know everyone going say"all the pitchers will be picked first". But that will not be the case for everybody. I'm stocked nicely for pitching and would select position players first for a year or 2 myself.
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Kang Dae On. Not the greatest , but my pen is old and in shambles, so what the heck. Plus he's my first draft pick ever, so that's fun!
peacockpenguin

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Drafted my first 15pot player.

http://brokenbat.org/player/159857
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Niiiiiiiiice defense. Hopefully that "decent slugger" turns into something nice and you wind up with a sweet player!
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Congrats! I'm still waiting to land my first POT 15. But really I would just be happy with a decent POT 13.
TexasSeraphim

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Newb and I drafted a 14 potential left-handed first baseman: http://brokenbat.org/player/159543

Kind of surprised that he started with 0s in all hitting categories, so it will make it exciting to watch his development.

He is at the Mendoza line with a double and two RBIs this Spring training, which is also surprising given his 0s. Guess it is a crap shoot like real life: draft picks?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I wouldn't worry to much for an 18 year old. As long as he has a strong growth curve he will still flesh out ok. Lack of a hitting report is a bummer, but other than that he looks like a good fit for 1B.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
@TexasSeraphim - you've mentioned Lockhart in a couple of threads so I'm guessing you haven't quite found the answer you're looking for. Second things first: the draft is absolutely a crapshoot, though your chances of drafting a decent player are greater in the early rounds (greater, but not guaranteed by any means).

As to Lockhart, he's a very good prospect, albeit one without a pure Hitting report, as Rock mentioned. Don't worry about his scores as they are now, they're mostly meaningless (spring training stats don't matter). An SI of 32 isn't great at any age but its not unusual for a High School prospect, and its not unusual for those prospects to gain 9-10 SI per season, which means he'll be ready for the majors in 5-6 seasons (at 82-92 SI). Which is right where he should be. But lets not get ahead of ourselves...

You should ALWAYS look for "very good potential" prospects when drafting, regardless of positional needs: take BPA (Best Player Available) almost every time. You will get some players with "good potential" who may appear to have a better report. For instance, if you get a "very good potential" player with "decent speed, outstanding in the field" and nothing else then you might find yourself with a decent 2B/SS prospect IF his actual POT (potential) falls in the 14+ range. If his POT is 13 or less, then it's unlikely that he's going to have enough value for you: he certainly won't hit enough because the skill points won't be there. If at the same time you get a "good potential" prospect with the ideal "great hitter, prolific slugger" report then I think most people who play the game would take the latter player (you want hitters who can hit, first and foremost). Same rules apply for pitchers, always look for pitchers with a fastball or breaking ball comment over one with a stamina-only report.

Back to Lockhart. You drafted a "very good potential" player, which is a nice option to have - as you can see from this thread alone you can get all sorts of POT ratings even here, and they will on average decrease as the draft goes along. Your "very good" also turned out to be a 14 POT, which is even better. This means his SI (Skill Index) should fall between 112-119 SI (the range for a 14 POT) once he has fully developed. He's some way off that right now, but it will come in time. If you haven't seen it already, check the second post here for a breakdown on how all the scouting reports translate to actual SI numbers.

Lockhart's 'prolific slugging' means a minimum of 17 in Power, and his 'oustanding fielding' means a minimum of 15 in Fielding, but lets say that reaches the max of 17. Add in Speed, Range and Arm as they are (changes are rare): 12+8+10=30, +17 (Power) +17 (Fielding) = 64. If he reaches the minimum SI for a 14 POT (112) that means he will have 48 points to distribute between Hitting, Bat Control and Plate Discipline. Lockhart lacks a pure Hitting report, which probably means a score of 9-12 there, so lets say 10. That means he could have 38 in BC and PD, or 19 in each. Not all players develop the same way, so lets say Lockhart gets to 18 in BC and PD, and the spare points go to power. That would give us a breakdown like this: 10/18/18/19/12/17/8/10.

He might hit .210-.240, sometimes higher or lower, but with that great BC and PD he will walk a ton (another 100 points?) and hit plenty of bombs (20+). In other words, a slick fielding masher, just what you want at 1B. If he gains a few more points in hitting instead, then even better. That's a very good prospect. All you have to do now is play him at the appropriate levels (follow the game's recommendations for minor leaguers).
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@amalric7 that's the post of the year. Posts like that should be "stickied" :)

Previous Page | Show All |