Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Most rookies?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I have a tendancy to think of games as high priority or low priority. For instance Cup games are low priority for me. Interleague games to slightly lower priority than Intraleague games. I have a tendency to just play my best players in Intraleague games, and get as many rookies into the lineup as possible for Cup games.

A lot will depend on how good the rookies are. Do they have 10+ ERAs, or are they pitching in the 4s or 5s? How much worse is he hitting than the guy he is replacing.
Mig2015

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't have set guidelines on how to develop players because every player is different. It is very much a read and react type deal. I agree with rock that there are low, medium, and high priority games and I will adjust lineups accordingly.

I also agree with sticking newest pitchers in the LR role, although it can be problematic if you bring up several pitchers in a short time period. If I have several rookie pitchers I will tend to stick the better ones in the MR2/RHS/LHS spot and just stick it out until they become productive. As pitchers begin to near complete development, I like to stick them in the rotation for a few games if they have 12 or more stamina just to see them start a few games.

But in the end, it all depends on the player: and this is coming from someone who was raised in a very structured, military household. I like rules and structure, but player development sometimes requires you to think outside the box. For example, if you have a guy who is your SS of the future but is blocked by a stud 32 YO SS in front of him, you have find creative ways to get him in the lineup. Is your starting 2B cold and your prospect has 2b experience? Stick him in for a few games and see how he does. You never know, maybe he'll win the job if he hits, then development is easy.

So, to answer your ultimate question: for games in which you want to compete, I find that I agree with ~2 rookies max. But, as stated above this is all dependent on the players. If a rookie happens to be hitting the crap out of the ball, I wouldn't count that as a player you are trying to get experience; I would count that as a starter you have in trying to win you games.

Updated Monday, July 3 2017 @ 10:53:10 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I've been working 8 rookies into my squad, but I've never had more than 7 of them up at the same time. Two of the rookies are regular platoons. I had all three pitchers up in the bullpen and rotation during parts of interleague, but I never had more than two of the other three position players up at a time. So the max this year has been 3 rookie pitchers and 4 rookie position players. Currently with intraleague going I only have 2 rookie pitchers and 3 rookie position players.

Updated Monday, July 3 2017 @ 11:18:26 am PDT
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not as experienced as many but have been here for a handful of seasons. I have just really started having players I picked up recommended for the majors. My approach has been to not be in any hurry to promote a player too quickly and have them just get hammered. This player is an example: http://brokenbat.org/player/131845

I don't see any urgency to promote him at 23 years old and with only 78 SI who has gained 10 SI this season.

I'm curious to see if others feel this is the right approach. This is just an example, I don't see him as a high prospect but an average arm that might be able to replace an aging or expensive veteran.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm currently running 7/13 pitchers 25 and under. All still developing and 3 of them in the starting rotation. The three starting pitchers are 23, 23, and 24 this season.

On the hitting side I'm playing to different degrees 5 guys 25 and under. The 2 25 year olds have SIs in their pot range. The younger guys are much greener either in SI or recent call up. There is one guy in AAA coming up soon and another likely. Next season my entire infield could easily be 26, 25, 25, and 25. Plus a C, a C/OF and OF/DH at 25, 26 and 23 next season.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@brentswagger - I think most players can benefit from 2 full years in AA. For a 23 year old, I would lean towards leaving him down for a while longer. Especially given his performances in AAA. However, I might be in the minority with this view.

@Tiger - I hadn't even considered age... I have 25 year old players with 4+ years experience in the majors, and 26 year olds who are up for their first season. I really just consider guys who are up for their first full season as rookies... I don't consider Norberto MarroquĂ­n, Blake Foxx or Alex Spears to be rookies on my squad.
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@brentswagger
"My approach has been to not be in any hurry to promote a player too quickly and have them just get hammered."

Do you think that those players develop better than if they were called up when recommended? The question is not meant to be abusive or mean in any way, I'm just wondering. I've always been sticking to scouts' recommendations (with some slight exceptions of keeping a 25yo in AAA) and I don't regret it. Players even when called up with very low SI at 23yo, they reached their potential no problem. Three examples below:
O'Reilly
Anderson
O'Conell

I have a gut feeling that this has no benefit other than not playing subpar player right now. I bookmarked your guy though to see how he grows after keeping him in AAA against the scouts.
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
So what I am doing is looking at each player's growth rate and SI and making a decision. If I have a AAA pitcher at say 75-80 SI and he is still gaining in the minors I am leaving him there. If he seems to stop or slow severely then I make the call to bring him up or drop him. I'm not sure if this is the best way to do things but that is what I am trying.
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
So what I am doing is looking at each player's growth rate and SI and making a decision. If I have a AAA pitcher at say 75-80 SI and he is still gaining in the minors I am leaving him there. If he seems to stop or slow severely then I make the call to bring him up or drop him. I'm not sure if this is the best way to do things but that is what I am trying.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I have had several guys not reach their POT after following the scout's recommendations. Most have been cut, but "Irish" Gary Byrd is still a useful player. Wish I had ignored the AI recommendation and left him down until he was 25.

Updated Tuesday, July 4 2017 @ 9:01:02 am PDT

Previous Page | Show All |