Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Available Free Agents/Waivers Thread   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Mig2015

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have been thinking of creating a thread like this for a while. I am starting this for new players who have trouble with player evaluation in the game, lower level teams who are in search of solid players who can help them out, and those people who don't want to have to sift through all the garbage in the free agent pool to find one halfway decent player that can help them out.

Anyway, here's the idea: anytime you drop a player that cannot really help you anymore, but you believe can help other people, post that player link here so others can find him. Anytime you decide to look through 12 POT hitters on waivers and find a guy that isn't of much interest to you, but you think can help other teams out and only has a couple claims (or none at all), post about him here. If you are looking for a temporary DH in free agency and find a 33 year old that is a bit too pricey for you, but you think can help another team out, post about him here.

Note that I am usually talking about non-obvious pickups here. If you a blessed legends team that has no space for a 13 POT 2B who will be a great hitter and decent slugger, obviously that is someone that can help almost any team. I am more talking about undervalued players that you feel can really help younger players and lower level (division VI & V) teams.

On that note, I would like to draw attention to a couple guys:

Luis Castellonas:
I just dropped this guy mid-way through this season because there is just no point in me paying for his salary if he isn't going to play. Yabuuchi took his spot about three seasons ago and I just have no place to put Castellonas, despite his incredible batting prowess. When he was in my lineup, he did nothing but produce.

Upside: Since he hasn't played much over the past three seasons his salary is very affordable, especially if you wait until next season to sign him. Despite his imminent decline, he can be a valuable short-term DH for a V/VI team looking for a boost to get them into the next level.

Downside: He is 33 years old and has already hit his sharp decline stage. He can still hit, but he won't be as productive going forward. In division 6 next season, I could still see him hitting 20 homers and batting .260-.270, but he will be a shell of his old self. If you are a team looking for a long-term DH, he isn't your guy either.

Gijs Kounen:
I just found this guy while sifting through 25-26 YO 12 POT hitters. Despite his solid build, he is not going to be good enough to crack my organization. However, he is most certainly good enough to be a solid 3B for years to come for up and coming VI, V, and even some IV/III teams.

Upside: He is built perfectly for 3B. He also had a little bit of expierence at C in the minors. He is still young enough where, if you really need a young catcher and have the time, you can switch him to a catcher. But, he is more naturally a 3B. He won't be an offense force, but he will be able to hit a bit. In a standard V/IV league, I would expect a ~.265-~.280 average with a reasonable on base percentage too. Not a ton of power, but he won't strike out much. His youth is also a plus. He could be a reliable 3B/c for years to come.

Downsides: Not much speed, little power which does translate to low slugging percentages. He won't be a franchise altering player.

Kounen currently only has 1 claim with just 13 hours left, which is a bit surprising to me given his youth.

One last point about this thread:
I realize this might be slightly controversial given that some people like looking for undervalued players, and this thread might compromise your searching a bit. But, I believe this can really help new teams find some decent players early on to build their franchise around, and lower level teams find some guys too.

Updated Sunday, July 2 2017 @ 11:05:22 am PDT
Huck_McCoy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Would create a harder system, as the hardest part already is other bids. More bids less wins.
Huck_McCoy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yet bringing to their attention Free Agents, that's entirely the individuals choice if they want to. It wouldn't directly influence Waivers.
Anyway, all the best.
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, no. It doesn't really create a "harder system" because, as Mig said, he is only really talking about undervalued players that might normally get skipped over by lower teams. We're talking free agents, or waiver guys that have less than 4/5 claims here. If you're upset that you can't land a whole bunch of guys with 2 claims oh well, I guarantee you if continue to play the waivers and draft you will find someone better in no time then a guy with 2 claims.

If it wasn't obvious I think this is a great idea Mig, and it already seems to be working. Castellonas, who has been a FA almost all season, was picked up, and the other guy whose name escapes me who had only 1 claim with just 13 hours left ended up with 5 claims and a division V suitor. Not bad.
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Logan Spain has been a free agent since I've cut him. I think he would be a solid DH for the V/VI teams once he's fully developed.
Herp Derp

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think it would create a harder system.

I picked up my level VI team just before last season. They finished fourth the season before.

Because I hit the waiver wire hard and have some idea of what kind of players might be better than everyone else thinks (and a pretty weak division), I finished second last season and have a 7 game lead in my division this season.

For example, this guy:

https://brokenbat.org/player/104009

I put a claim on him about halfway through last season. I was the only one who did. He's gone 19-7 for me since.

Why make noobs like me who may turn out to be decent players/owners have to fight for picks with guys who won't even do their own legwork?

I get that the game is set up so it doesn't have to be terribly time-consuming but maybe you should have to put in more effort than checking a thread to find decent players.

Updated Monday, July 3 2017 @ 11:59:09 am PDT
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I just let go my 9-year DH Alex Alvarado. 6-time All star, 2-time All League.

He's 33 years old, but still has 16-HIT, 15 BC, 15 PD and 8 power - he's still an elite bat at the LL VI level. He's not a home run hitter, but with an OBP consistently above .400 and a SLG between .475 and .500, he still manages to move players around the bag consistently.

I need to start giving some of my younger players more playing time, so Alex has to go.

Deuce

New London Rippers
V.3

Broken Bat Baseball
@Herp Derp
I totally agree with your thinking on this matter.
mjhack

Binghamton Bobcats
VI.15

Broken Bat Baseball
Ageed

Previous Page | Show All |