Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Should I call up minors pitchers?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
12twelve

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My first season in LLV is not panning out as hoped. My pitching staff is not great and my highest priced guys are getting older and less effective, along with some pickups just to have arms available. Thinking about making some wholesale pitching changes and bring up 4 or 5 pitchers from AAA but I'm concerned about stunting. They all could use more time but might calling them up accelerate development? Looking for some advice on starting the youth movement and which pitchers might be worth the call up. Thanks.
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Honestly, I think you should call up all your 25 year old pitchers from AAA. They will gain a lot of SI if you give them a lot of innings.

About Orlando, I don't think he can make it to his max potential, which is 13. He seems behind in training to me.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Chavez is the only guy I would have called up, the rest all look like they need more AAA seasoning. Orlando might not reach his potential and in any case his SI is way too low to play now, so he deserves all this season and at least through spring training next season in AAA before getting the call. I had a similar pitcher (better POT/worse profile) in Montes, who also lagged - he had some moments but ultimately proved a waste of time. Orlando should be better than that but it will take time.

I think you're more likely to hurt Lugo and Morse by promoting them - given you're 12 games back already, I'd keep the AAA guys in AAA and go with a youth movement in the majors, sign some 25-27 yo under-developed guys and see if you strike it lucky. Give the guys who are still developing as many appearances as you can. If you're going to go down at least do so in a worthwhile fashion. Kokawa is another ex-bum of mine, he's not worth it and never coming close to his POT. Look for upside guys like this.

Biting the bullet is no fun but ultimately worth it in the end. I did it last season and the first half of this season, after several seasons of putting it off, but - like newtman said recently - I feel like my team is developing quicker than my competitors, so in the longterm my team will be much better for it (and the longterm is now for me: topped the .500 mark for the first time all season). I think you'll go back down regardless this season, but if you bring in some developing guys now and give them opportunity and the AAA guys continue to develop at the appropriate level, you'll be ready to promote back up again next season. Just my two cents.

Previous Page | Show All |