Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Too soon to give up?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Yankee1219

West Allis Devil Dogs
V.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Was feeling good at the end of last season...clinched my division with about 25 games to go, got my young guys some ML time, won the Division Championship, and promoted into LLV. Had some big salary increases that forced me to release some high-priced and aging pitching, with the expectation that the off-season would allow for me to replace them. No such luck. Won only 3 claims, all for guys 30 or older, with claim numbers on them of 1,2,4. Didn't land any of the prime targets, something many have commented on. So, I entered this season with only 9 pitchers on my major league roster. Although I feel that I have a solid group in my minors, they are far from ready to make any real contribution.

After losing three of my four Cup games, winning only the finale, and being swept in a 4-game series to start league play, I'm giving some serious consideration to dumping payroll and playing all my youngsters to expedite their road to the Show. I don't foresee promoting this season and more than likely will relegate back down to LLVI.

I realize that we just got started but if you look at my ML roster, I think you'd agree that my pitching is going to be a consistent problem and my offense will not be able to make up for it. So I'm left with two options: grind it out and hope to avoid relegation or bite the bullet and use a full season to develop the kids. I think that once this group make it to the Show, we could be good for quite a while. Please take a look at my minors, and let me know what you think.

As for this season, I'll take a vote: Grind it out or Develop the Youth?
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Developing youth is always a good idea at LL V and VI, because ideally you will be able to get into the middle levels (IV) right when they start to hit their peaks (26 or 27) and it is the way so many teams have gotten three or more straight promotions. That said, I would never suggest calling up players that haven't had enough minor league time to get them within reachable distance of their cap. No sense in ruining the next generation just because your current players aren't doing the job now. You never know, you could pick up a decent (not great) pitcher during the season when a LOT less people are looking. Sometimes a decent arm can mean the difference between a staff that is perpetually overworked, and a staff that can hold their own.
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Is four games into the season too soon to give up? I'd say yes in every imaginable case, but your team in particular for one standout reason: you don't have that many guys who need developing yet. You have a rather old team and your minor leaguers aren't ready for the majors yet. You have nothing to lose: throw your best team out there and hope for the best.

I would say that having such an old team is a bad thing, but your minors are so chalk full of pitching prospects (I am drooling over Orlando Virgil as we speak. That guy could be one of the best closers I've ever seen.) and you have some decent offensive young guys that I believe you'll be just fine. You've done a pretty good job of getting your minors up and running, you're just at that inevitable spot where the old owner stopped playing leaving a gap of talent on your roster. I'm actually quite impressed you were able to move up last year.

If I were you, my goal would be to stick around in Division V for the next two-three seasons until your young arms can provide reinforcements. I would also pick up an arm or two right now for your squad. It doesn't even have to be a good one. Get someone who will have an ERA under 5.25 and eat some garbage innings for you (You may be able to find a FA that can do that for you). It's hard enough to roll with nine pitchers, but it's even harder with low stamina pitchers like yours. Your offense should keep you afloat though during the season.
occham

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I would agree with Slug. Throwing in the towel is probably a bit dramatic, given where you're at. If you had 3 or 4 25-year olds begging for playing time it would be a harder choice.

What you might do is keep an eye out on the waivers for an underdeveloped 25-26 year old. You've got room to plug one in and see what happens. Pitchers, in particular, sometimes get a CRAP ton of development once they start throwing in the majors. Basically, use the low pressure as a chance to take a chance on a player you might otherwise ignore.

We had that thread about 11/12 pot guys who really overachieved - they can't over achieve without playing time. Use this season as a chance to go digging through and see if you get lucky on a guy.

I got lucky last night - after 77 or so claims, I got http://brokenbat.org/player/122195. Yea! go me! But seriously - the guy's got 5 control and based on his descriptions, he's pretty close to maxed out in everything but stamina. I can't even imagine him getting handed the ball for mop up at IV or above. But I'm not in IV or above! So i get to try and experiment.

Updated Wednesday, May 24 2017 @ 3:51:11 am PDT
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
How much of a bankroll of cash do you have? If your bank balance is somewhat low I think that adds a lot of support to the idea of trying to save cash but if you already have plenty of cash there is no real need. If cash isn't a concern I would just continue to pay close attention to the free agents market for any guys up to about 26 years old to see if you can find someone you think will make a really good player with some playing time. If you find a guy like that I wouldn't worry too much about swapping out a 32+ year old for that guy and stick him in and play him. Outside of that your team sounds similar to where I am at. I am just now seeing my first acquisitions starting to get recommended for the majors. I expect I am still a full season away from seeing some of these guys actually starting to hit the big leagues. You could also evaluate how close some of your top prospects are and if they are still a few seasons away you might benefit more from drafting from college or overseas to get players closer to ready since you could work them into a regular role in your lineup right away.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Its WAY too early. I think you have a pretty decent roster, but you do need more pitchers at this time of the season - with Cup games included your guys will wear down quickly, and injuries are inevitable. As others have said, look for underdeveloped guys in the age 24-27 range and give them regular playing time, they will make regular gains or flame out.

A couple of specific points. Morales isn't underdeveloped, he's stunted and hasn't played above A ball at age 26, I think he's a lost cause (which is why he was available as a FA). Also, neither of your SS are worthy of the position - for all their positives they both lack fielding reports, which will really hurt your pitching. I prefer minimums of 14-15 across the board (perhaps as low as 12-13 Arm if you're desperate) in the fielding stats at SS. Same with Connelly, who isn't a 2B with that fielding report so you need someone better there - Wade has a great fielding profile for 2B but unfortunately doesn't have any 2B eligibility. I'd look for better fielders at both MI positions. I'd cut Ahn, you don't need 3-4 C, and also Hayashi: between Connelly, Garrison, Buchanan, Edwards and Scarpa your OF is already loaded, though obviously you could use some youth. The rest of your lineup is fine.

Your team actually looks a lot like mine did when I took over, though all my pitchers were 30+ and I had a total of two minor leaguers!
nobodyjones

Seattle Rickey
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/92423
http://brokenbat.org/player/105496
http://brokenbat.org/player/96776
Yankee1219

West Allis Devil Dogs
V.3

Broken Bat Baseball
You guys are great! I think you may have talked me off the ledge, at least for now.

Newtman - I was using the Spring Training thought process, thinking they would speed up development if in the Bigs, completely disregarding the stunting aspect. Thanks for setting me straight.

Slug - when I started last season, I had a younger team but picked up several veterans to fill gaps. It worked, I got promoted. But I'm feeling it now. Thanks for your thoughts on my minors. I've been taking the advice of everyone that posts when they say to build up the minors, especially in a rebuild. Problem is I have so many prospects now, that I'm running out of roster space! LOL I, too, am excited for the future and may be just too impatient to wait.

occham - searching for guys like you recommend. picked up one that may be more stunted than underdeveloped (Almaric, I agree with you) but thought I'd give him a shot.

brentswagger - I have $24M in bank with a $43M payroll. Very top heavy. I'm going to need a bigger reserve if I am to compete at the next levels.

almaric - I agree my lineup is ok, (not great) but pitching is a huge problem that I don't think they can make up for. Middle infield is definitely not up to par, and I'm just trying to bridge the gap to the guys in the minors. I sometimes play Connolly in OF over infield; I show 4 Catchers but in reality, Peters is a DH/1B platoon, S. Lee is the other 1B platoon who is a good hitter for average, Ahn has a great arm and platoons at C with a developing Petrowski.

nobodyjones - thank you for the player suggestions. I looked at a couple of them before but was hesitant on the 14 control as I try to look for at least 15 (although you wouldn't think so based on my current roster). Plus I've stayed away from most 11 POT's. That said, this would be a great opportunity to test my thought process and see how they do. And I can dump some salary.

Thank you all for your thoughts and support. You have convinced me to fight the good fight. This is why I log into this game several times each day (I'm even at work right now) and check the forums. Good luck to you all for this BRAND NEW season!

Updated Wednesday, May 24 2017 @ 11:02:15 am PDT

Updated Wednesday, May 24 2017 @ 11:04:58 am PDT

Previous Page | Show All |