Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Will He Be Good?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
wil_m

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have a thought. I do not know if it will be helpful or not. Please disregard if it is not helpful. :-)

I find that young pitchers often do poorly against batters of the opposite hand in their first few seasons. I see that Yamada was .296 last year against righty batters. That may be his main problem. Given he is pot 14 and looking at his scouting report, I am not sure but I would guess that he will become high in control. As he gains control and experience I would estimate that he will do better against righty batters. That should make him do better overall as well.
g10rsh

Champaign Suzumebachi
VI.2

Broken Bat Baseball
One thing I have found that helps developing L handed pitchers on my team, is if you using them as a Middle Reliever in games where my starting pitcher and closer are R handed.

The game starts with players who do well against RH pitching, then when this LH pitcher comes in the players may not be as good against a pitcher throwing from this side. many of them get switched out, and then when the RH closer comes in they are at a disadvantage.

It does require having a certain setup for your team, but it has worked well for me when dealing with underdeveloped/underperforming LH Pitchers.
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't know, his 4.4 minors ERA says he'll be OK, but not the 14 POT you were hoping for.

Lefties are tough, too. Very league dependent on if that will be useful.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Always hard to tell with a guy this soon. Definitely a good sign that he improved over the course of the year as his SI rose. I think a lot will depend on which side of "major league curveball" he ends up on. When they start to get high in their pitching skills every point seems to make a huge difference. If he grades out low on his movement, then he could be destine for mediocrity (and maybe a lot of HRs). But he will definitely improve over last year. With a high movement grade he could be a dominating pitcher; I see him as a medium-low risk / high reward prospect. I would definitely develop him.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
This thread has built some anticipation (in me anyway) for Yamada's start tonight.

Curious to see how he does. :)
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Yamada's first start was alright. He gave up four runs, three earned, struck out one batter and walked one batter. He also gave up one HR.

He has another start tomorrow at Applewood Crossing.
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Yamada's second start was about the same as his first. He gave up six runs, three earned, struck out two batters and gave up one walk. But now, he only pitched four innings.

Now I'm starting to have doubts about Alex Piper . I thought he was going to be a very good reliever, but has shown me the opposite of a good reliever. He had an alright rookie season, but started out his ML debut by giving up two earned runs in 2.1 innings of work. This season, he has started out horribly. I know it's a small sample size, but I'm a bit concerned. He currently has a 22.50 ERA and has 3 BB's and 1 K right now.

Will he a good pitcher or just an average pitcher?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
He might be ok. It really depends on where his CoS end up. His biggest issue is that he is average at everything right now. Pitchers without an out pitch generally don't do well. Even with just high CoS he might not be great, and its still questionable how high his CoS will get. Its not unreasonable that he could become an above average performer (low 4.00s).
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
I think Piper will be really good. I also think he should be a starting pitcher for you.
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
@garf, only reason he's not a starting pitcher is because I've got good starters currently and I thought he would've made a good reliever once he came up to the majors. I also don't think he should be a starter due to him not having a solid out pitch. He did do very well in the minors as a starter, but he could've been pitching against low SI hitters in the minors.

Previous Page | Show All |