Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Parity in BB   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I was looking at the history page for some info and noticed that inadvertently Steve has given us a nice little way of statistically measuring the ebb and flow of parity in the game. I noticed that I finished the 2029 season with a 299.58 rating and was ranked 18th. In 2031 I am finishing with a 276.53 rating, but am finishing 18th again. This seems like good evidence that parity is increasing as the top 25 teams no longer have nearly the gap between themselves and the teams following them.

Edit: Yes, I am only one data point, but I think it could be an interesting thing to follow up on and check if someone has the time. I might at some point, but it really isn't viable right now.

Updated Thursday, May 4 2017 @ 9:43:47 am PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
That's a really neat observation.

Teams that have held in the middle tier for a long period might be the best to look at (if they are out there).
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Maybe Philliesworld or someone from IV.7? Pretty sure I read a post yesterday from someone who had been in LL IV for 6 seasons... or was it LL V?
Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, sigh, it's me all right. Next season will be my tenth in III. I had a streak of seven from 2020 to 2026. My last season's have been a little roller coaster falling to IV. Than streaking to II. Only to fall straight back to IV. Now I'm back or will be back in III. again.

I've never had really good ratings, being 0-8 in play-off games till this season hasn't helped at all.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Looking at Philliesworld's history, it is hard to establish a trend in terms of what I was stating in my original post. When his rating has gone up, his ranking has too, and when his rating has gone down, his ranking has too. I think this would require looking at several teams to actually establish whether the difference is shrinking. Thanks Seca for showing a interest in this idea, but I doubt the follow-up needed is going to happen.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
My team's ranking and ratings align similar to your Newtman. You could look at a few more of the top teams, but I suspect if nothing else you are correct about a shift in parity at the high end of the spectrum. Which should really mean greater parity as a whole. Certainly makes sense to look at more data points.
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Here's a very small example from the bottom of the barrel. I took over my team in 2024 a few games into the season. I had no clue what I was doing but I believe this supports the parity theory.

2024 - Rank 379, Rating 76.69
2030 - Rank 389, Rating 78.61

I know this is from LL.VI but in 2024 my team had a slightly higher rank with a slightly lower rating. I don't know, maybe at this low of a level these slight differences are negligible and I still don't know what I'm talking about, lol. It's early and I've had a couple long days at work.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
There are only seven (soon 8) seasons of data. This was my 5th season in III.4. Headed for a 6th. It's worth noting my team had 2 cup runs to the top 8 during that time, not sure if that affects the parity question. Cup success really spikes a rating up.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Right, the nice thing about looking at this is that "success" or "lack of success" is irrelevant. If we can determine with multiple data points that the extreme high ratings are becoming closer to the pack, and that the gaps between the users between say 100 and 700 are shrinking as well then that is about the best measure we can get to demonstrate an increase in parity. I remember back in the early 2020s Thunder Bay and the other top teams used to have ratings approaching 600, right now Birmingham has the top spot at 457.84. To me it is sort of like moving from that age where only 3 or 4 teams actually won in baseball to an age where anyone can have a shot. I see better competition as a good thing that adds value to the fewer wins we get. Not knocking the incredible feats that MrTwoPlums and others accomplished, just fascinating that this may actually be measurable.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Tiger, you have a very similar fascinating line:

2028 Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers 39 242.74
2029 Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers 39 234.79

Your rating went down almost 8 full points but held the same rank. Either there was a large gap between you and the person behind you, or there was a shift downwards in ratings. My guess is the later.

Interestingly, cup runs are not needed to gain rank though, as my team still hasn't made it past the 3rd KO round and it has been a couple seasons since they made it that far, and yet I am still 18th. That said, I think cup runs by lower league teams probably have a lot to do with the shift in ratings, now whether that is actually a measure of parity or considering the short series and luck involved is a crucial question, but I tend to firmly believe that since it is happening almost every season now, that it really is an accurate measure.

Previous Page | Show All |