Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Goose Egg vs Save   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
g10rsh

Champaign Suzumebachi
VI.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I've often thought saves were kind of a strange statistic. A pitcher can pitch the first four innings flawlessly, and not get a win, but a closer only has to have one decent inning to get a save. The statisticians at fivethirtyeight.com came up with a statistic called the Goose egg.

a pitcher gets a goose egg for a clutch, scoreless relief inning. Specifically, he gets credit for throwing a scoreless inning when it’s the seventh inning or later and the game is tied or his team leads by no more than two runs.

This seems like a much better rating of how valuable a late game releiver is to a team. What do you guys think?

full article here: The Save Ruined Relief Pitching. The Goose Egg Can Fix It.

More in depth writing of the rule:

A relief pitcher records a goose egg for each inning in which:
1. It’s the seventh inning or later;
2. At the time the pitcher faces his first batter of the inning:
  • His team leads by no more than two runs, or
  • The score is tied, or
  • The tying run is on base or at bat

3. No runs (earned or unearned) are charged to the pitcher in the inning and no inherited runners score while the pitcher is in the game; and
4. The pitcher either:
  • Records three outs (one inning pitched), or
  • Records at least one out, and the number of outs recorded plus the number of inherited runners totals at least three.

Updated Thursday, April 20 2017 @ 8:52:53 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Seems like its just extending the issue with all the same problems... A pitcher can pitch two scoreless innings in the 5th and 6th and gets nothing, but a scoreless 7th earns an egg. I'd rather just stick with saves and holds.

I judge the quality of my relief pitchers by ERA, HRA, K/BB, H/IP, etc. I've never really considered saves or holds for quality. More just for fun. For a fun stat, I'd rather have the familiar.

Updated Thursday, April 20 2017 @ 9:20:44 pm PDT

Previous Page | Show All |