Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Real Life Inspirations for your Team   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It was included in some birthday package. I don't know all the details; my dad did. I wasn't the only one who threw out the "first" pitch. I was more like the third or fourth pitch. If I recall correctly, there were five birthday "first" pitches. But still, it was a tremendous experience.

Updated Tuesday, April 4 2017 @ 9:08:35 am PDT
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Ended up in Kalamazoo because it ended in zoo and I liked the sound/idea of that and the Tigers have been my favorite team for 35 years. I've been in Iowa all my life but I guess I'm kind of an Iowa snob. All my favorite towns are actually just towns and not cities. I live between Cedar Rapids (it smells bad, nicknamed City of 5 seasons, also referred to locally as City of 5 smells) and Iowa City (very eclectic and probably my favorite city in Iowa) but then I'd feel obligated to have some sort of Hawkeye mascot.

Tigers, besides being the only team I truly care about besides the Hawkeyes, is kind of a popular name in this game so I wanted to differentiate. Chose between Bloody Tigers and Savage Tigers. I grew up as a Sigourney Savage(s) but opted for Bloody. Then the bat in the logo having his head bit off has become an homage to Ozzy Osborne who performed that delicate trick in Des Moines Iowa at Veterans Memorial.

Love having What Cheer, Iowa as my AAA affiliate. I grew up about 8 mile from there as the crow flies. Actually would love to have Sigourney, What Cheer, Hayesville and Keswick as my minor league affiliates. Only town in Iowa I would really like to put my big club is Sigourney, pop 2100. But then I'd probably have to switch to the Savage Tigers.

FYI, there are several cities in Iowa large enough to support a major league franchise that don't have them and many of those with interesting history. Coralville, North Liberty, Pella (Dutch heritage, Central College Flying Dutchmen), Decorah (Norwegian heritage Luther College Norsemen) Storm Lake, Fort Dodge, Marion, Keokuk, Muscatine, Mason City (real life inspiration for River City in the Music Man), Ottumwa (Radar's hometown from MASH) to name a few...can't remember if Clinton already has a team or not.

Updated Tuesday, April 4 2017 @ 10:42:19 am PDT
Bridger

Muncie Flyers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I live in Muncie, IN...but the Musketeers already had it claimed. So, I went with Indianapolis.

As for the nickname, I work at a truck dealership...
Bucfan

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Great stories everyone. Thanks for sharing.

A couple of responses before I get to my team:

First of all, glad to see all my fellow Hoosiers representin'!

@endrju You should know that Warsaw, Indiana's high school has had quite a bit of success athletically over the years, including winning a state basketball championship in the 1980s, when winning a state title was a big deal here. I'm told the town is honored to have a Broken Bat franchise located there.

@RDailey1948 I root for the Southern Illinois Miners because all of my family is from the area and my grandfather, an Italian immigrant, was, in fact, a southern Illinois coal miner.

As far as my team goes, if you know your French you know that Terre Haute means "high ground" or "high land." Hence, the team name. I grew up in Terre Haute.

We play in Memorial Stadium, which still exists on the east side of the city. It was home to the Terre Haute minor league franchise which played in the old Three-I League (Indiana, Illinois and Iowa) until the mid-1950s when the team folded. The team was known at various times as the Terre Haute Huts, Tots, Highlanders and Phillies. And maybe some others I don't recall. Memorial Stadium is now owned by Indiana State University, which transformed it into a football stadium, although some of the outfield fence still exists (and can be seen on Google Earth!)

We have a minor league team in Wisconsin, the Sister Bay Peninsulars, which is in Door County, one of my favorite vacation spots. And Door County is a peninsula, so the nickname fits.

Also, our Class A team is the West Baden Springs Hillclimbers. West Baden Springs, Indiana, is right next door to French Lick, a popular vacation spot and home of the "Hick from French Lick" Larry Bird, who spent three years in Terre Haute, playing basketball at ISU.

And we've come full circle.
buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Slug - it's a great show! Probably is at its best seasons 2-5, and gets really meh the last two, but I really enjoyed my binge of it.

Bridger - Your team name is probably my favorite in all of Broken Bat. Something about it just really is cool to me!
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Lombard because I liked the name. Lancers because I'm British and enjoy history - The Charge of the Light Brigade featured the 17th Lancers.

My A team is the Dundee Dodgers, named both for my hometown in Scotland and for my MLB team. :)
jreynoldson913

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Ever since I saw the 30 for 30 I've been hooked on the bad boys of the Detroit pistons of the late 80s and early 90s. Now if u watch one of their games. That is entertaining. They changed the way basketball was played. The nba had to come up with the technical because oh them
RDailey1948

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hoosier & Miner influence continues

@Bridger, I was born in Muncie and BSU grad years ago. Muncie was taken for me too. One of my farm teams is the Gaston Bulldogs.

@Bucfan, I have 2 sons that are currently southern IL coal miners.
Benchwarmer

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The Bowie Baysox are the Orioles minor league team, my dad used to take me to a couple of their games each Summer. When I saw Bowie was an available city I just had to have it. Originally I was the Gulls, but a couple of seasons after custom logos became available, I decided to become the Blue Crabs to solidify the Maryland/Bay theme.
Garnash1970

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
When I first joined BB, I selected the San Angelo squad because I had been stationed there for 6 months while in the Navy attending "C" school. I used to go to the rookie league hockey games in town ... the San Angelo Outlaws (Cowboys were as close as I could come).

The next season, I saw Monterey available, where I had been for almost two years in "A" school. So I grab the city.

I grew up in Northern CA listening to Hank Greenwald broadcasting my beloved Giants so I took the only name "bigger" ... the Titans.

I really love Monterey. It's a beautiful town and I made a lot of life long friends there. I used to be able to step outside and see all the way across the bay to Santa Cruz ...

Interesting side story ... when I first flew into Monterey there was John Denver in the airport. That was about 6 months before his ill-fated last flight. The bass player in my band goes down there every year to celebrate his life. I should go back soon.

Love this @#$@ing great and frustrating game!

Previous Page | Show All |