Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Minor League Stories   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Garcia went up 7 SI as a 20 year old, and is already up 6 SI so far this year. So I am still holding out hope for him.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have one story and it involves a very unlikely twist. The guy I've been drooling over since the day I drafted him is Myles Koch. The high school draftee had this scouting report: 18 year old rightie. His fastball can be unhittable. He can have a major league curveball. He will have the stamina to be a starting pitcher. He has very good overall potential. Obviously I was licking my chops and crossing my fingers as I selected him. The reveal? 14 potential. Yes!

He started at 9/3/3/3, which is decent for that age, I think. He jumped out of the gate quickly, striking out 69 in in 79 Rookie first-year innings, while sporting a 2.96 ERA and earning 7 SI. Going against what I normally do, I had the 19 year old throw in the spring. He did amazingly well, fueling my anticipation of him even more. Unfortunately he only grew by 6 SI over the season, though, giving me reason to think he might not make it to the bigs until he was late into his 26th year of life. However, he shot up 13 the next year in a full season of A ball.

The next season was his worst as he put up ERA's of 4.15 and 5.23 in A and AA. The good news was he gained another 10 SI. Next he kicked some tail in a full AA year striking out 208 with a 2.98 ERA. Again, he gained 10 SI, putting him at 80 as he approached age 23. This season he has gained 8 SI so far and just got promoted to AAA after destroying the league to the tune of 103 K in 110 innings, 1.96 ERA and 1.042 WHIP. My guess is he'll get The Call late next season. He's easily the best pitcher I've drafted and I'm expecting nothing less than the number one Margate HOF pitching spot from him, but no pressure, Myles. :)

So here's the surprise: he was my sixth round draft pick in 2026. SIXTH!!!!!! I have exactly one player on my roster that I've ever drafted past the sixth round--a 7th round pitcher in 2024.

But wait. It gets weirder. My 2024 6th round pick was Chapa who ended up being a 14 potential with this scouting report: He can be a great hitter. He can develop into a prolific slugger. He is not very fast. He can be outstanding in the field. He has very good overall potential. He was a slow learner and probably won't reach his listed potential, but in the short season to date has a .946 OPS.

And then there's my 2023 sixth round draft choice, "300" Perez. He earned his nickname by hitting exactly 300 in the minors and because he has also bowled a perfect 300 game. He was drafted as a 14 potential with this report: He can be a great hitter. He can develop into a prolific slugger. He is really quick. He will always be a poor fielder. He has very good overall potential. He soared quickly through the minors and earned a Big League starting spot in the outfield at age 24. He's my best overall player and hitter.

Not bad for three number six draft picks in four years, huh? Oh, and for what it's worth, the sixth round draft pick in the middle that I didn't keep is a pitcher playing for the Taylor Tigers right now and has a 3.67 ERA this season, which is his first.

Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I think there is a good chance Koch pushes the top end of the 14-pot spectrum. Should be a gem. And Perez is a beast.

With all that 6th round karma, Margate will be expecting big things in this weekend's draft. :)
Philliesworld

Blacksburg Bulldogs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I got a very "volacitic" "one pitch wonder" pitcher I really don't know what to do with. He received his AI major stripes late last season. But I didn't bring up, didn't want to at 79 SI. Not with the way my pitchers go on development strikes when I award them promotion. He's received five more skillets(yeah' I call am' skillets) in seven TU's since. Which' is good but is not the 1 pop per week he was getting.

Then there's Lord Foley Who got his recommend two TU's in the past.

Now I need to call up one or the other for interleague play. Which? Foley will probably put up better numbers. But he's further from his potential floor. OR should I pull up this guy?

Help!
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
Philliesworld....

I'd go all in on Foley, right into rotation and watch him grow.
Not sure the other two will ever turn our but you might as well bring up the velociraptor and get him some work too.
Dcmrulz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think Gonzales will be a good player, but of the three, call up Foley. I'd probably put him in a high usage relief situation to start while he gets the stamina a little better, then move him to the rotation.
Balbinjj

Appleton Foxes
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Let me share mine:

I am pretty anxious now about one of my "underrated" investments. I love taking shots on 12 pot guys and this guyhttp://brokenbat.org/player/123098 has been with me for two seasons.

He was a stud up to AA but now that he is on AAA, he is looking like a minor league player. Cutting bait is a real option now.

The other "underrated" investment that I am pump is http://brokenbat.org/player/136104

I know that minor stats doesn't count but man, he looks like a legit Great Hitter and Prolific Slugger!
Philliesworld

Blacksburg Bulldogs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Yah. I'm going with Foley. Have to, I'll probably leave Gonzalez down for now I don't really need him, heck, he's only 21. Plenty of time yet.
nemesis

Brooklyn Dodgers
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
I took over a team that previously had just three one-season-only owners. But it had bot-drafted really well for two seasons before I took over, and boasted a bunch of talented prospects (POT 13-15). I've added another 11 in my 3+ seasons, and some of these guys are already in the majors.

Hasegawa was the guy that popped potential and continued growing, a true stud.

Ashikaga is a 15 POT great hitting, prolific slugger with 17 Speed, who rakes, hits bombs and steals tons of bases. He's a monster, and was a FIFTH round pick.

Cates got the call recently. There's Ragan, Sanchez, Cook, Silinas was a waiver claim who might not actually lag, Mojica is one of my few pitching prospects and should be a stud.

Two guys who are already up (with Cates) and who interest me are Burdette and Kekoa. For a 12 POT Burdette has a pretty good hit report and a good catcher's build, although the growing pains are obvious. I love Kekoa, because even though he'll be a Mendoza-line hitter he'll still launch some bombs and steal some bases at the #9 spot, all while playing gold glove defense at SS. It looks like he may pop his POT too.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
@Seca - I have a very similar player to DeJesus in Moran. Lots of similarities, only downside with Moran is he's a lefty, and he lost 1pt of Arm the update before last.

Previous Page | Show All |