Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Lead off hitter material   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
So I have Rodney Hunteras my leadoff hitter against Rhp. His obp is great but his SO's worry me a little as a leadoff hitter. Am I being over reactive?

Updated Sunday, March 12 2017 @ 8:33:46 pm PDT

P.s. Sorry I didn't link but everytime I do it just brings it back to this page for some reason

Updated Sunday, March 12 2017 @ 8:34:56 pm PDT

Updated Sunday, March 12 2017 @ 8:35:49 pm PDT

Updated Sunday, March 12 2017 @ 8:36:36 pm PDT
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
no idea what you're copying from when trying to link (sounds like this page instead of the one that has the player)

this is the link you want though.

IMO OBP is the most important aspect at leadoff... so you hafta go with who does that the best in the end. If there are no better options, stick with that guy. He's not ideal though. I feel like high hitting and high BC together tend to make for better in that spot. The PD is good though for drawing walks in lieu of hits, which still adds to OBP

To compare, this is my lead-off guy: http://brokenbat.org/player/92758

He's high in all 3 areas which really helps get the job done. But that's just ideal... you basically need to work with what you have and use the best you can find.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I like Hunter for leadoff. Strikeouts aren't a big deal for me in that spot. I look for good OBP combined with an ability to get to second base (either through steals or doubles).

For many seasons leadoff was a sore spot for the Dinos. At the moment I'm fortunate to have 3 guys I feel can handle the spot (Marino, McCarty and Zarate).

Waterloo's big problem in recent years has been the cleanup spot. Used Anderson there last series.
Squiddcatt

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
When I took over I stuck Frazier at lead off and have had Duncan and cleanup and Burt at the third spot so I have done well batting.
Mcdoogle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think your leadoff hitter is fine, Phillips also would be a good choice. As long as he can get on base at a good clip he'll be fine.

This is my current leadoff guy, he does pretty good for what I want him to do - get on 1st and steal 2nd.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If you can acquire another guy who makes a good lead-off hitter, Hunter might also be an interesting #2. The high strikeout rate might actually play to your favor there, believe it or not. If he has a runner on first (like that lead-off guy) with less than 2 outs, your chances aren't super high he grounds into a double play... he probably gets on base or just strikes out, which isn't the worst thing that can happen there.
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I copy the players name on his card then paste it in the hyper link. Is there another way for me to do it off a iphone? That's all I use.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't like a guy who strikes out batting second.

If your leadoff guy does his job, he finds a way to get to second base. In my opinion, the second batter needs to put the ball in play (hopefully advancing him to 3rd).

Hunter probably couldn't bunt to save his bytes. Would be losing that tool from the tool box.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Different philosophy, I guess. I don't want a guy putting a ball in play if it means a double play. I'd rather a SO than a DP.

I think if two guys get on base at the same rate, a guy who strikes out more is more valuable batting behind a good OBP guy but that's just my opinion.

Of course everything is situation. When a runner is in scoring position, putting the ball in play in any capacity is most desired. A strike out is far less useful than other outs in that case to me.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I get where you are coming from. I only had to look back to 2029 to find BC heavy Stein batting second in your lineup and hitting into 18! DPs.

I'm not sure what that K gains you tho. It just puts #3 up in a DP scenario (unless leadoff manages to steal on his second opportunity). In a way those DPs are the cost of doing business. For every extra DP, how many extra times does he get a runner to 3rd base? Hard to say. Probably depends a lot on who is in #1 and #3.

There isn't one right answer as you suggested. When my team was younger with lesser players, we 100% committed to Earl Weaver baseball. Pitching, defence, and the (in my case) 2 run HR. My lineup alternated OB-guy HR-guy 1 through 6 (with defensive scrubs at the bottom). Seemed the best use of the tools in the toolbox. :)

Previous Page | Show All |