Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Draft Question   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
All I have to point out is who is throwing the insult again. Enough said. Cheers for this subject
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
There isn't really a point to keeping undrafted players. It would mostly just add more junk to the pool than already exists. Its not like there isn't enough talent to go around as is. Great players sit on FA all year long.

If you go down to 6 or 7 options, you will be getting 0 or 1 good players rather than 1 or 2. You would seriously like to have 0 good options instead of 1? I can't really grasp how people aren't getting this...

Updated Wednesday, February 22 2017 @ 5:41:14 am PST
wil_m

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Rock,

Like you said undrafted players going into the waivers could add talent.

So that could balance out the talent not seen in the weekly draft rounds. :-)

I can see that it may not work, but it is an idea to try.

Updated Wednesday, February 22 2017 @ 6:30:05 am PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
More picks equals great parity between teams. And you aren't actually supposed to get 10 good players every year. You are only supposed to be pulling 2-3 keepers from the draft each year. That is all you need to build a team.

I think the issue Steve was trying to address was if there were enough sleepers in the draft to keep people interest in the latter half of the draft. I think it works pretty well right now, but if we increased picks, the talent would drain quicker (and more evenly). I had suggested creating new talented players for each round and introducing them randomly over the week (like managers are working). This would ensure there would always be some high quality sleepers in every round of the draft.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Being able to add talent is a widely accepted fallacy. As Steve and a few others have pointed out in the past, creating more "good" players just raises the bar for what is good. Those we consider to be good now become average. And average players become bad. You can't really increase talent. Sure we could get to the point where we all have 10 POT 14s on our roster, but then POT 13s would be below average players and POT 12s would all be useless junk and we would be asking Steve why there were so many useless POT 12s and POT 13s in FA.
wil_m

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think that is a good idea ---> to add new talent each round. Thumbs up on that.

So may-be a little less talent each week gets added.

I like it.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah it makes sense to decrease the amount added each week. That would keep the higher rounds better, and prevent the situation where the new talent pooled and later rounds were actually better overall than some of the early rounds.
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
At first, I was in favor of more than 10 prospects per round, now I'm not so much as I think of the number of prospects generated each season. I am going to make a guess at 7560 new prospects generated to give every team a chance to draft 10 players per season. I don't if this is exact because I never started round 1 as soon as it's ready. So, going with 7560, round 1 is the only round where there is almost a guarantee that all 10 prospects on my draft sheet are not on someone else's draft sheet. This mean I can wait until the last possible minute before round two starts and still have 10 players. In all other rounds after the first, the chances of 10 prospects being on my draft sheet by Thursday decrease. So now I am for 8 players on my draft sheet so that the chances of these 8 being on another's draft sheet are dramatically smaller for the first three rounds. More players on a draft sheet means more choices for me to possibly lose from the first round on the later I wait to draft in the week. Better scounting reports are taken leaving me less good reports to choose from.

If every team drafted every round, all 7560 prospeccts would go into the leagues. That means every sleeper and bust. Waivers would get all released draftees, which would give more options to thinner teams and those willing to gamble on less than 12 POT players. This potential exists.

With all this being said, I am for 8 picks per round and 7560 new prospects per season at the current talent ratio of yearly all-stars, journeyman players, and never will be's regardless if their scouting report is spot on or falls into the+/- 20% variety.

Updated Wednesday, February 22 2017 @ 10:37:50 am PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Well as others have stated, its really never safe to sit on your draft picks. Especially if you pick from a smaller pool, you can lose a guy in the first round even. So I would highly advise against doing that.

Not every team drafts. There will be a few thousand players left over at the end of the draft. That is a lot of players all going to waivers at once. I don't really think it adds anything to the game, since there are already good players sitting on FA. Most of those guys are just going to clog up what is already on waivers.

If there is such a concern about losing picks off the boards, I'm not sure why people haven't recommended generating picks dynamically. There is really no in-game reason why the 10 guys on my board ever need to show up on anyone else's board. Just generate players on demand, and then dispose of any who aren't drafted. That would ensure that you never lose players off your board regardless of which pool you draft from.

EDIT: BTW, players only disappear on you if you selected your draft pool and looked at the players but didn't choose one right away. If you wait until Thursday to look at your draft you are guaranteed to always have 10 players. It is never fewer than that.

Updated Wednesday, February 22 2017 @ 1:43:04 pm PST
Garnash1970

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
What about holding the draft each of the first ten Fridays of the season, granting all draftees a longer first season of training?

I don't think drafting from groups of 10 strips the various pools too quickly, it makes the late season surprises that much more special.

Previous Page | Show All |