jdar25

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@amalric7 yeah has value as a pinch runner and defense replacement
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Scott should be used as a defensive replacement only.

While I agree Scott is probably best suited as a backup middle infielder, I don't see why we have to condemn players so readily.

If Scott fills out, he will likely be 2, maybe 3 points behind Alarcón in each of hit-bc-pd-pow. How much worse will that make him? How many more BBs does 7PD --> 10PD get you? How many more HRs? Alarcón has career ~.220 BA .550 OPS at decent levels of competition. How much worse would Scott be?
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Rereading my post, it sounds overly critical. Not my intent.

Without getting into hair splitting about the value of individual stats, I figure a player needs ~60SI in defensive skills to play SS (speed being tied to range, 4 categories here). Maybe its league level, but I also feel that a player needs ~60SI in offensive skills (4 remaining categories) to be a (relatively) consistent offensive player.

So to get a SS who can field his position and provide consistent offense, you need 15 pot. Not an easy get. If you can't find one of those you:
- take the consistent offensive player and accept sub-par defense
- take a good defensive player and hope he hits above his floor on offense
- split the difference with like a 53SI-O 53SI-D guy who isn't a sure thing on offense, but doesn't hurt you that much on defense

I feel option 2 is completely viable, but often dismissed on the boards. It is what I always used b/f I lucked into McCarty. If Scott were 18 I would have been very pleased to have drafted him today.
Vols

Norman Aces
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/148188
Could be average shortshop
jaycarter

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Found an interesting 14 POT this round, no offense messages but I still think he could become relatively decent.
ephenssta

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Seeing the people pulling pot. 13s or 14s this late int he draft drives me nuts. I know they're the vast majority, but I haven't even gotten a keepable prospect since the fourth round.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Its pretty rare to find sleepers this late in the draft. You are going to pull most of your good players in the first 4 rounds.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
@Seca - condemning players is why we're here! We're not all lucking into fully developed 16 POTs, after all. ;)

Seriously, if Scott fills out to the max for a 12 POT and only reaches 15 in Fielding, he'll at best be 11 SI in hit skills behind Alarcon. Not that I'm saying Alarcon is a stud, far from it, but he was better than anything I had and this fairly average season is probably going to be his career year - he's an option 3, if he's lucky. The 71pts of AVG he's hit over the stop-gap vet he replaced has been invaluable, while even fully developed Scott will be lucky to hit the Mendoza line.

But we dismiss these guys in most cases because of their limitations. Porras that the Sharks drafted is arguably more worthy a prospect because he's just 16, but there's also every chance he'll be cut in the long years before he fully develops because someone better came along. The Alarcon the Ducks drafted is the one guy of the three we'd all rather have though, because he's somewhere between options 2 and 3: a 14 POT with no hit report. I have the exact same player report-wise myself in Suzuki. I started with an option 1 in the previously criminally-underused Fuentes.

I only write off Scott because his defensive skills scream SS-only and his offensive 'skills' will just make you scream. :) But hey, horses for courses, YMMV. And FWIW I'm beginning to think that the most important skills for a SS are actually (in order) Arm/Range/Fielding.
ephenssta

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm an idiot and can't type. I meant to say the people pulling good picks this late are the vast MINORITY.

Previous Page | Show All |