Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> 3B Builds   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That makes sense in real life Gizmo, but the game doesn't work that way. Steve confirmed a long time ago that range works as an aggregate. I assume its weighted, but you are probably better just a well off increasing the range of your RF as your 3B to make up for a weakness at SS. Since 3B has a lot of defensive requirements, I prefer to find range elsewhere.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
MVP type builds. ;)

I've said it before (and its fairly obvious) but Ortiz isn't an ideal build, certainly not defensively where fielding and range would be better swapped, and plate discipline and (wasted) speed swapped too would be nice, but I'll take a guy that can rake like that over any defensive build. Simple fact is I'd be lost without him, even though 3B has been arguably my strongest position - hard to replace a hitter like that.
Squiddcatt

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
3B has been my best spot for years with a great power hitter runing for MVP ever year If the game gave it to a deserving player not a player on the best team.
Noodle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My 3rd base man can't hit worth a lick, but I'd argue that he might be the best defensive 3rd in all of broken bat. Bob Cannon. ID 98887.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Bob Cannon looks more like a SS to me. Lots of unneeded range there. Your SS and 2B in comparison look to be short on range. Perhaps that might help explain so many pitchers with ERAs over 5.00 as well, your middle infield is limiting you.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I like the build of my 3B Art Rowland. I think he might be prototypical and it's the first time I've had a 3B like this. This is his first year at 3B as he was my catcher before but I've got a 23yo rookie at catcher this year who is doing just fine.

Rowland is 15-11-19 defensively. He's remastering the position after being trained as a catcher and playing 4 seasons there.
20-7-11-16 hitting. At 28 he is maturing into a strong offensive player. He does strike out a lot though but that's hard to complain about. For a 13 pot, I think he has a really nice build without any waste.
Noodle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Newman I thank you for taking the time to assess my team but I'm confused as to how you came to that conclusion. Your right that Cannon has more range then nessisary for 3rd but my ss has 17 range.

My strategy has always been to proritize defense And my starters with the largest sample size have consistently outperformed there fip. My defense is the only reason why I have managed to get to division 3 because my pitching(not including my ace)and offense stink.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Horn your SS only has 15 fielding and 12 arm. That is why I said I thought Cannon looked more like a SS, because SS is the only position where all three defensive skills are important. Both of your 2B players have outstanding fielding, but terrible range. One has 13 which is too low in my opinion, and the other has 9 range which is simply terrible for a guy up the middle. That is why I said your defense is probably hurting you, because your range up the middle is brought way down by your 2B and the SS isn't as good as your 3B. The problem is you don't know how good your defense could have been if they had been put in the proper positions when still young. Your 2B is like a statue in his range, that has to be hurting you even if it doesn't appear to be showing up in the FIP.
Noodle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I wish I had Cannon earlier in his career. I would have trained him at SS oh well. As for Horn I don't know. What is more important for a SS in this game, Arm or range? I've tried to find an upgrade all season as I've grown restless with his bat but been unable find a SS with a better defensive package. As for 2nd I cycle Nelson Madrid and Chambers whoever has the hot hand. All 3 have different strengths and weaknesses. Will try to address this again in the offseason as my minor leaguers are still a couple of seasons away.

Updated Thursday, February 2 2017 @ 5:13:55 pm PST
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I would go with range, I didn't see that you didn't draft Cannon though. Been a long week, I've missed a few details like that.

Previous Page | Show All |