Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Hidden Traits   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think part of the confusion is that the catcher being referred to has a capital "C" and a 19 Arm. So other than hidden traits, there is nothing obviously lacking from his build.
Yankee1219

West Allis Devil Dogs
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
On the topic of player intelligence, a player's baseball IQ can definitely impact a game. Whether it be a catcher calling a game, an outfielder knowing what base to throw to in a given situation, a pitcher knowing oppenents hot/cold zones, or a baserunner knowing when/when not to steal or take an extra base.

Real life example...Carlos Gomez. Super fast, but a horrible baserunner. He felt his speed trumped all and he often ran himself and his team out of innings and wins because of his lack of intelligence. He would try to stretch a double into a triple down four runs late in the game, or try to steal third with two outs. Often, he didn't make it, leaving you scratching your head and losing games for his team.

Just as managers can be "excellent teachers of the game", players could also be "excellent students of the game".
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

Wouldn't make much sense for me to disclose anything about hidden traits (if they do exist) -- seems like that would defeat the purpose.

(emphasis again done by me)
Haha! Things like this kill me. The manual states they exist, so why play games like that?

I think the shroud of super secrecy here is overblown. We know very little about how anything operates here, so completely hiding things is completely unnecessary. For example, we know the basic idea of what skills are important for each position because the manual tells us. Does that ruin the game? Not at all. It's actually compelling because we don't known precisely how they all fit together. Which player would be fundamentally better at shortstop regarding defense--17/15/16, 15/17/16 or 16/16/16? We don't know (and that's even ignoring the fact that we don't know the exact ratings because they're only displayed in whole numbers and have a +-20% error rate). That's an example of something being hidden that works well for the game. The same applies for hitting and pitching skills. I loved Stratomatic as a kid, but you could easily calculate who the better player was. Broken Bat's hidden secret formulas make it more compelling and interesting.

What isn't compelling, in my opinion, are the truly hidden traits. Things that impact gameplay that we don't know even know about don't make the game more interesting. It's a full moon so Tom sucks while Jerry rocks. Great. Not. The entire game is a mystery, so there's no need to throw forces unknown at us. Play ball.

Updated Monday, January 23 2017 @ 10:10:48 pm PST
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I beleive there is very little hidden. The human mind tries to find order in random. The discussion of hidden traits is blown out of proportion due to managers trying to rationalize how coin flips have landed.

I'm disappointed Steve isn't allowed to interact with us on the forum. I read his post in the Legends forum as encouragement with a bit of humour added. He immediately gets pumped by one manager for information, and another goes offside b/c a benign comment was directed at an individual rather than the full player base. Disappointing.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
From the manual:

There are however fixed player values that affect certain in-game outcomes. Their effect is significant, but much smaller than the effect of the relevant skill.

Think all you want, the official manual says hidden traits are significant.

Steve's comment in the Legends thread obviously had humor thrown in, but you have no idea how much truth might have been in the comments you are calling benign. Part of the statements about game play are clearly relevant. There's no way to know where the line between fact and fiction was drawn.

One more thing--the forums are meant to be conversations and opinions. When I make a post, I expect absolutely nothing, zero, zilch, in return, response or action. This thread is in the DISCUSSIONS part of the forum. That's all it's meant to be.

About Steve posting in the future, I'm not sure where you're coming up with the idea that he can't or won't interact at all. What he did say is that he will address gameplay type issues in Help and Discussion threads. Maybe there was a hidden message in there that only Legends got? (I'm joking, for crying out loud. Easy.)
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Nobody here recalls how Steve explained the algorithm for any AtBat?

It is an interaction between Batter's skills, Pitcher's skills (and CATCHERS skills)
And to a smaller extent Team defence comes to play

It was a post from a long time ago, cannot find it...
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Before my time. Catcher abilities being hidden, or "C"?
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My question was a joke... come on guys, lighten up, it is a game. I know we all want to win at the game, but the ultimate purpose is to have fun. On a side note, if some players started being "hot headed" and charging the mound became a thing I would start watching the games again. As is I get all the needed info from the game log and box score far quicker, without the stress that watching close losses bring to me.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Watching the games adds to the fun level considerably. Of course it's more painful losing close ones, but the reverse is also true. Watching a dramatic win is thrilling. The side benefit is I think we actually might glean a little more from watching. I know I do, anyway. When I just read the summary, I occasionally miss some of the subtle things. For most games I have the settings at 1 second per pitch, which makes the game time around 10 minutes. I probably watch at least half the games and especially focus on my new pitchers.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm 100% sure you are correct that you can get a better view of your players by watching the games. I just don't have the time. Wish I did :(

Previous Page | Show All |