Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> A Plague of 2B's   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
SS requires 3 defensive categories. So its pretty hard to get a SS who can hit well. 2B is basically the same difficulty as 3B. Its not that hard to get a 2B who can hit, especially if you forget about power. De La Rosa has been pretty miserable in the minors. At least Wadsworth and Strickland haven't failed at the minor league level yet (mostly because they haven't had a chance to yet). I my mind a guy with no Bat Control and no Hitting doesn't belong anywhere near a field unless he is pitching.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Besides, you didn't trade defense for offense. Your 2B looks just like Wadsworth and Strickland defensively and has a Very Good Hitting rating. Seca also has a Good hitting 2B.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
The big problem with De La Rosa is that he has 75 SI at 23 in AAA. Thats quite poor for a defense first player that is loaded with speed and range already.

Seca also has a Good hitting 2B.

You think Sims is going to be an offensive dynamo? Really?

Sims is the best option I've managed to acquire. I'm encouraging the OP to go with the best option he's managed to acquire. Should a Cummings slide onto the waiver wire then absolutely the OP should put in a claim.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I meant literally. He has the scouting report of Good Hitter. He also has good BC. Plus he is hitting better than half the guys on my squad anyhow, so yeah, he is a good hitter. De La Rosa looks like a real dud. I think the guys with 15 range both at least have the potential to be mediocre hitters.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Sims has an OPS of .510 at the moment. Of the 18 guys on your stat page, 15 of them have an OPS better than .510.

If De La Rosa were to fill out (and that is a really big if) he could be a better OPS player than Sims. I suspect De La Rosa will get more out of his power than Sims does. He should walk quite a bit more than Sims and his 5 PD.

That really big if does mean OP should keep eyes open for an upgrade.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
De La Rosa hasn't hit well since A ball. He is hopeless in my opinion. With no hitting and no bat control, there is really no way he will get anything out of his power. Sims hit 14 HRs last year in AAA. No way De La Rosa does that. De La Rosa hasn't even been good with walks in the minors. He is striking out like crazy. I don't see any upside.

The other guys aren't very good either, but Strickland has been impressive in his limited appearances. He may be better than he is scouted. He is also a lefty, and a base stealer. I think he is the better bet. But I agree that none of these guys are great.

Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Rock, I was saying I would trade offense for defense at 2B. I just haven't been fortunate enough to find a guy who could play 2B as well as I like right now.

Like literally if I had the choice between no hitting scout + "outstanding in the field" vs. say "very good hitter" + "solid in the field", equal range for example... I'd take the former, not the latter.

You can't try to tell me what I aim for when building a team based on what I have at the moment. How many people have the perfect prototype player of their vision at every position at all times?

I'm serious when I say I would elect to give up a good hitter for a good fielder at 2B. I obviously want both, but if I hypothetically had to pick between the two, that's where I'd go.

One of the reasons I'm training Irwin right now at 2nd is because he has better range than Lee for the same fielding report (which I'd still prefer to be higher but not so lucky there). His hitting report is lower than Lee's, but I'm trying to get a defensive option ready.

I've also signed various vets with good fielding/range combos in case training youngsters at 2B would hurt my team too much... luckily, I'm doing so well this season, that the vets are needed and I can take the risk of playing developing guys full time.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I'll take the hitter every time. When your team goes on a season-long slump at the plate every AB is worth its weight in gold.

Al Dorsey was my 2B when I took over for 2026, and his 17 Hit, Power and Fielding (at the time) were huge for me. Vallejo was meant to be his replacement but lost a point of Range and gained one in Arm, which is less than ideal, and just couldn't hit enough despite a "very good" hit report (14 Hit/16 BC). In desperation I threw money out the window and picked up Fisher, who has been terrific with the bat (badly needed) and an absolute magnet for the ball at 2B despite 8 Range and a 6 Arm. Olivas was meant to be Vallejo's no-hit backup but couldn't do much of anything, and I acquired Gaytan as a 3rd (and now 2nd) option: his Range is borderline but if the bat plays I'll be happy.

The only position I'll now consider having no hit report is SS.

Updated Monday, January 23 2017 @ 8:12:02 am PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Same for me. SS is the only position I consider guys with no Hitting report, and usually only if they are prolific sluggers with promising BC and PD.

I would definitely not trade Fielding for Hitting myself. I would trade Range to a point, but 15 range is enough for me to start looking at hitting ability.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
That's the great thing about this game... everyone has their own philosophy and multiple contradicting styles of team-building can still potentially be successful as long as the owner executes their personal strategy properly.

Previous Page | Show All |