Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Teaching Minor Players Secondary Positions   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
jetsrock48

Davenport Cobras
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Is it worth it to switch the position for a minor league guy once they reach capital letters for a position? What is the benefit of leaving them at their primary position once they reach the level of cap?

Versatility is an important attribute, so let's say you have a guy that you plan on being your everyday 3B going forward and at age 22 he hits that 3B. Should you switch his position to OF or does he still gain exp at 3B if you leave him at the primary position? Having a lowercase of at least gives the guy flexibility when promoted.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
When we first got the option to train guys in multiple positions I tried to train a guy up as 2B/SS/3B. He was 2B/SS/3b for a while. And then 2B/3B/ss, and even 2b/ss/3b for a bit.

Moral of the story, you have limited options because players lose position experience over time if they aren't playing the position.

The other thing to keep in mind is that 3b and 3B are just spots on the progress line, 3B is not an extent. So it looks something like this (notional)

Nothing___________________3b___________3B_____

So yes, they will continue to grow in ability after they first get 3B. You can verify this by watching their fielding % grow for a couple season after getting caps in their position.

I generally like to get guys good in two positions. Some people like to have a primary and then two lower case positions on a utility. But three primary positions is really not feasible.

One last piece of info, positions are listed on a player based on which one he has the most experience with. So for instance if you have a guy listed with "OF 2B", then you know his position experience is currently higher in OF. A guy listed as "2b of" has more experience at 2B. I use this with some of my minor league guys to make sure both positions are growing at an equal rate.

Updated Sunday, January 15 2017 @ 8:49:22 am PST
jetsrock48

Davenport Cobras
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I had a feeling the exp thing was the case but didn't know for sure. I did not know that the position with more exp was listed first - that is good to know. I am thinking of training some guys to have a secondary position but a lower case one, just as flexibility but keep their primary capital.

I've had issues where I train someone for what I believe their best position will be, only to realize when they reach AAA that they are blocked or I actually have multiple guys who will be ready for the same position. Thanks for the info
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Not a bad strategy. I usually try to double up most of my players, but it can be hard to tell how far over CAP they are. Just pay attention to their fielding percentage in the minors. Should tell you how solid they are.

Previous Page | Show All |