Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> How steal base works?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
li2150

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My speed 18 runner was caught stealing by arm 8 catcher 3 times in one game. I really don't feel this is reasonable. So the next question is how steal base works? What I should check when manage steal base setups?

Thanks a lot for the help.
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You can set how aggressive a base stealer is on the management page. ++ is most aggressive and -- is least aggressive. After looking at your player and the catcher, I think it was just a lucky day for the catcher.
li2150

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks a lot for the reply. That catcher caught me 4 times and only allowed 2 stolen base in that 3 game series. But his overall caught stealing percentage is not high, so, ok, he was just lucky.

Another interesting thing is that I have another really quick player, and I also set his steal base strategy into ++. However, he barely steal base, even not as aggressive as other + setting players. I have changed his steal setting to + today. Let's see if his behavior will change in the future.

Updated Wednesday, December 28 2016 @ 9:43:14 am PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
It is known that there is a base stealing hidden trait. Some players are very aggressive, while others almost never try. Your management settings will work in conjunction with that trait, but if the guy doesn't like to steal, he still won't steal a lot. Leave him at ++ and hope he steals a few.

Regardless, speed is still important for base running in general, so don't feel to poorly towards the guy just because he doesn't steal.

Updated Wednesday, December 28 2016 @ 10:25:40 am PST
li2150

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks a lot for the knowledge. I thought there is no hidden properties for players. I have modified the steal setting back to ++.

I really hope this player can steal. He has very high BB rate. If he can steal, every BB will turn into a double. And with that speed, any single can send him back safely.
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Like Rock said, some players with high speed don't like to steal. A good thing to do is look at there base stealing history throughout there career to see if he likes to steal or not. A player with high speed who doesn't steal would probably benefit a line -up if placed in front of a high bc hitter and set his base running in+ or ++ and click his hit and run box, especially if your opponents arms are weak.

I believe the scouting report is what Steve wants us to see and the actual attributes of a player are not seen and there maybe other categories for a player that combine to make up the 8 skills we do see. For instance there maybe a quickness factor that determines how many steps a player needs to get to full speed. This maybe why some speedy players don't steal. My player Al Connors is my best power hitter despite having only a 10 for power. He is a 15 in hitting and a 19 bc with a history of hitting balls in the air. I belive there maybe an attribute with a players swing that is not seen. Also there is up to a +/- 20% variance to the scouting report we do see.

Updated Thursday, December 29 2016 @ 2:05:33 pm PST
li2150

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Dan, thank you very much for the good suggestion. I have modified my lineup and hopefully I can use the player's speed in a better way.

I checked some statistics and tried to connect the performances of players with their skill numbers, but nothing can be really concluded. Of course Scouting Report is important reference, I just think it only shows possibility. It is an interesting guess that the skills are actually determined by other attributes. Well, that can explain many things and sounds like in a real world.

Updated Thursday, December 29 2016 @ 9:55:35 pm PST
occham

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've got this guy

http://brokenbat.org/player/113661

(some day I'll look into how to code it so the name links)

16 speed and has like 3 stolen bases.. ever. And none in the majors.

Updated Friday, December 30 2016 @ 3:14:50 am PST
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
This might be helpful for BBCode: http://infinite-story.com/tools/bbcode.php

Previous Page | Show All |