Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Advice   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
mnadam1212

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So last year my team did okay, but not great. I was thinking I was getting this figured out, but this year, it is becoming obvious I need some advice. Anything would help. I really would like to get back to some winning.
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
When you're breaking new players in, it's pretty standard for the on switch to not immediately be hit on their performances, especially if they're sub 90 SI when they hit the bigs. Here's my tips

1) Don't expect your catcher to put up consistent numbers. Russell Mathewson has an 8 hitting now, and shouldn't scale past 10 before he runs out of SI (he's 9 away from his SI Cap). a 10 on the hitting in 6 might still net you some decent seasons of .250-.260 batting average, but for the most part will lounge around the .210-.220 range, and even if the player walks 80 times a year he's not reaching .300 ops, which means his production is not likely to be good enough. Find a better hitting catcher. a FA catcher like Lewis Lewis (http://brokenbat.org/player/84692) has not much worse arm than your catcher, but will increase production considerably. It will buy you two seasons to find one on waivers thats a little better. I've found 2 catchers in FA that have been more than good enough to fill out my minors.

2) Move on from Wyatt and play Jiminez. Ramiro Jiminez is looking like a solid contact hitter with a good eye to draw walks (strikes out a bit still). If he can get to 14 hitting and 16 PD then i think he's capable of hitting .280 in D.VI and getting enough walks to push a .360 obp or better, which will give your better players more runners to drive in.

3) Your overall hitting is poor on a team scale. Hitting is arguably the most important rating on a player, because it influences how much a player can take advantage of doubles triples, home runs, and steals. Your team will be incredibly inconsistent in D.VI with an average of 12-13 hitting on your team, and if you promote it'll get progressively worse the higher you go, by D.IV i'd think you'd be a team .650 ops.

4) In general, you have very few pitchers that have both pitching attributes in the 15+ range. Having a fastball with a Major league Fastball, strike out pitcher, or unhittable fastball coupled with major league curve/slider will push a pitcher from average to great. a pitcher such as your 15 potential in rookie ball that has unhittable fastball and huge potential can also do well.

5) Get rid of players with "never be a decent hitter" in your minors as well as guys with just stamina comments amongst pitchers. You can find better guys on waivers that are going for 2-3 claims.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Major league fastball is just so-so. Also, it is rare to have all three stuff pitches be high. Its more important to have good control and two good stuff ratings. CoS and Movement is at least as good if not better than Velocity and Movement. Fastball pitchers sometimes give up more HRs. So you need a guy who keeps the ball on the ground more for a FB pitcher. CoS is harder to figure out, but just because I guy only has a rating in Movement, doesn't mean he is bad. Parodi's only scouting report is for movement, but he is a great pitcher. Its more important to look at their dev graphs combined with the scouting report and POT in order to try and figure out what they will look like at the end of development.
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
it's fairly easy to get the third best velocity comment and a movement comment on 12's in FA/waiver right now. If you can find better than that, then you're getting decent draft luck and/or waiver claim luck. If you can only find less, then you're not looking closely enough at each player. Guys like Oscar Rios that he has will not be relevant and can be easily switched out with an equal prospect. Ozzie Campbell's wild control comment can easily be replaced with a 12 potential that has no control issues and the same fastball. It's worth the lesser potential.

Control is difficult to determine at the point of draft. you only know if it's 9 or less. Thus i tend to stray from the unknowns in the draft. In FA, it's a bit different.
mnadam1212

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thank you all for the help. This gives me some things to start working on.

Previous Page | Show All |