Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> GB, FB, LD   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Let's see if I'm getting this correctly. Hits that don't say "ground ball" are line drives. Line drives are neither ground balls or fly balls. GB/FB ratio does not consider line drives. Without tabulating them yourself, there's no way to know line drive rates.

It seems to me that line drive rate is probably at least as important as GB/FB, and I'm wondering if I'm missing something that tells us what it is.
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've always thought line drives were considered flyballs because no matter where they're caught, it's an out.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not sure how Steve calculates it, but my working assumption is that players closer to 1 hit more line drives. In other words, I'm guessing the that player profile of a guy who hits a lot of pop ups and a lot of ground balls, but few line drives doesn't exist in the game. That is just my working assumption.
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I did some pen and paper tracking and the early results are showing line drives do not go into the GB/FB ratio. Hits to the outfield that do not say groundball hit are considered line drives. Not sure what HR is yet and if some flies drop for hits.

This is too much work for me. A guy with a high SLG, with many doubles and triples probably is a line drive hitter. Just glad I learned line drives aren't in the GB/FB ratio.

Updated Wednesday, October 5 2016 @ 8:00:09 am PDT
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well if we look at a site that only does GB/FB ratio, such as baseball-reference.com (as opposed to fangraphs which just does LB%, GB%, and FB% separately), they do in fact include line drives as fly balls. Perhaps this is the correct way to do it?

Granted I would prefer fangraphs style of just putting the three percentages so you can get a better breakdown.

Previous Page | Show All |