Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> How do I handle someone who is ready for the major leagues but doesn't have a position yet?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
That 350 number is not consistent with my experience. That would make repositoning a 5 season endeavour. My own rule of thumb is ~200 major league games from lower case to upper case.

I think 100 games + 6/10 of a minor league season gives a pretty good chance at lower case 2b.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I have had several guys take longer than 5 years to train in a position. Foxx has already been training for 5 years in the OF and still doesn't have OF (popped of at ~350).

I set Ruiz to train at 2B seven years ago, and he just finally popped 2B at the end of last year.

Updated Sunday, September 18 2016 @ 2:23:07 pm PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Those guys are in the minor leagues. I said major league games.

Minor leaguers are a different proposition.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Well you are doing half the training in the minors and half in the majors. So probably some where in the middle. Either way, it could take a long time to get that guy well trained at 2B, and his range is a bit low.

Remember upper to lower is more consistent than none to lower. It can take longer to get the lowercase than the upper case. And this guy doesn't have 2b at all right now.

Updated Sunday, September 18 2016 @ 4:03:28 pm PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Err ... All i talked about was lower case to upper case.

Whatever. You win.
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the input guys.

Sounds like I'll play Han at 2B in Spring Training and possibly cup games to hopefully get him his 2b in the next few years, while playing him at LF as much as possible in order to keep his development on curve.

I just need to figure out how to give him playing time.
  1. Yamato is my full time RF. Stud hitter, but I wonder if I can afford him @ 3.25M this season. One of my 'heart and soul' players.
  2. DeLeon is my CF. Great range, 'OK' hitting.
  3. Black is a potential alternative leftie CF.
  4. Hauer is a platoon LF against LHP. Hit .332 against LHP last year a .855 OPS.
  5. Ballard is a platoon LF against RHP.

I'm going to try to replace DeLeon and Black in CF with better bats, but I don't think I can slot Han in there.

I may be able to get Han in in place of Hauer and Ballard in LF in a few games against weaker opponents, but both those players have the ability to drive the offense.

Edit: I also have McAllister in the mix. Promoted near the end of last season with a small 'of' as well. Has the Range and Arm to be an OK CF replacement for DeLeon / Black, but as a 12-POT, his bat is going to end up on the limited side.

Updated Monday, September 19 2016 @ 6:19:16 am PDT
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
My OF would be Han in left, McAllister in center and Fujihara in right with Black backing up all three. Ultimately, I think Han is a 1B, but you don't really have an obvious LFer (and its the least important position on the field). His field skill will be wasted, but Solomon is an OK 1B prospect.

Both Beniquez and Mason are better prospects at 2B, imo.

DeLeon is garbage. Ballard and Hauer are close behind. Hauer's one saving grace is he is a nice platoon option for you.
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@garfscores - thanks for taking the time for a deeper look into my system.

My OF would be Han in left, McAllister in center and Fujihara in right with Black backing up all three.
Ultimately, I think Han is a 1B, but you don't really have an obvious LFer (and its the least important position on the field).

DeLeon is garbage. Ballard and Hauer are close behind. Hauer's one saving grace is he is a nice platoon option for you.

Interesting. It seems that the rookies in left and center would be a downgrade this year in favor of better development for next year, especially with DeLeon, Black, Ballard and Hauer being on their way out shortly anyways.

I'm curious why you recommend keeping Black as a 4th OF instead of Ballard. Black has better range and arm by a few points, but Ballard should have a better bat - I don't expect Black to ever repeat his massive .876 OPS 2027 season.

I'm all for reducing my stable of outfielders in favor of reduced salary and increased farm slots.

His field skill will be wasted, but Solomon is an OK 1B prospect.

That's somewhat my expectation of him. I'm in no rush however as Alvarado and Welch own 1B / DH for now.

Both Beniquez and Mason are better prospects at 2B, imo.

Beniquez is my heir-apparent at 2B, at least once his fielding increases a bit more. I wish I had a better fielding prospect close to being ready.

I never considered Mason to be a 2B prospect as he has no fielding report. Rather, I saw him as my LF of the future (once he pops an 'of', that is).
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Have to agree with garfscores, really. McAlister doesn't have much of a ceiling as a 12 pot, I'd be looking for replacements for him and all the guys you listed bar Han and Fujihara - old guys with average hit tools are not for me.

Beniquez will make an average 2B, ideally you want more range (16+). I'd put Mason in LF, doesn't have the fielding for the middle infield. Gillespie can play the MI and Coughlin 3B. Solomon and Ledbetter are 1B/DH types only. Moreland is the guy you want to train at 2B/SS. Further down, keep George at C with his 17 Arm, fielding isn't important at that position.
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
@BrianV - I chose Black because he is better defensively and is two years younger. I really don't like guys without 15 hit skill.

Regarding fielding, look at the scouting report to find what the skill will ultimately be. Check out my SS Bowman to see how much I think of the field skill in the grand scheme of things. He is completely imperfect, but the best card I was dealt for SS.

Regarding playing youth, they will get better quickly, you need to trust that. If they are backups, they may never reach their potential. As starters, they reach potential in max two seasons.

Previous Page | Show All |