Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> All stars   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Way beyond my expectations! I was so surprised I had to write a press release.

For Immediate Release
16 July 2028 - All-Star Field

The air was abuzz and anticipation was in the air. A handful of players in the Corvallis Ravens locker room knew they had a shot at being invited to the 2028 All-Star in the days leading up to it. But manager Ken Allen and general manager lostraven didn't expect to bring two-thirds of its offensive lineup along for the ride.

The Mysterious Algorithm Team Lords (MATH) shined upon the Ravens and chose six Corvallis offensive players to represent the Western Division of League VI.19:

* C Bruce Owen: .327/.414/.535 after 275 AB (First ASG)
* 2B Julio Dimas: .344/.431/.518 after 326 AB (Second ASG)
* 3B Marco Pardo: .299/.346/.462 after 318 AB (Second ASG)
* LF/RF Leonard Yao: .333/.391/.535 after 288 AB (First ASG, at age 30)
* CF Eddie McFarland: .315/.410/.450 after 251 AB (First ASG, at age 34)
* RF/DH Alvin Giuliani .284/.324/.584 after 310 AB (First ASG)

All six players managed to play in the game for the Western Division, which beat Eastern Division 3–0. Solid pitching performances for Amarillo Wranglers' Fabian Pineda and Marcus Carr helped keep the Eastern offense at bay, while Ravens' own Marco Pardo took MVP honors by going 2 for 4 with a run as well as hitting a solo home run in the bottom of the first. Dimas, Yao, and McFarland all contributed with a hit and a walk each to help keep the scoring chances alive.

After the game, general manager praised the work of a team that he took on for the first time this year. "I'm proud of what we've been able to do with the new Ravens franchise in only three and half months of play," he said. "While we have some work to do on our pitching core, I think this All-Star Game proves that we at least have the offensive talent to pose a threat in Western Division."

GM lostraven gained control of the team, formerly known as the Prescott Mountaineers, in early January and made a flurry of changes, transforming the once maligned team that went 62 and 98 in 2027 into a competitive team in 2028. At the All-Star Break the Ravens boast a 51-29 record, three games out from the Amarillo Wranglers while still sporting the second-best record in the entire league.

Updated Wednesday, August 17 2016 @ 4:27:59 pm PDT
Toon Squad

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
C Theo Suzuki (3rd All Star Game) .303/.357/.496 slash line.
SU Christian Bonilla (1st All Star Game) 8-4, 2.89 ERA, 51k
CL James McCarthy (1st All Star Game) 26/27 save opportunities, 1.65 ERA, 27K.

Edit: Bonilla, not Vanilla. Thanks, autocorrect.

Updated Wednesday, August 17 2016 @ 5:26:38 pm PDT
Mig2015

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow,

I don't know why they called it an "all-star game." Basically it was the Bismark Phoenix vs. Champaign Yellow Jackets. Both teams had 10 all-stars. Unfortunately, we didn't win. :(

Every one of my offensive all-stars started the game too.

My all stars:

SP: Carlos Fossas
SP: Oscar Virgil
SP: Ji Hu Kim
C: Ramiro Carmona
1B: Jimmy van Houten
2B: Albert Berra
3B: Sammy Davidson
SS: Cesear Villa
OF: Billy McDowell
OF: Gene Waters

Some highlights:
Carlos Fossas - His first all-star game selection at age 32. Given his 7 SI drop off this season, the filler starter I picked up for the end of last season is making his probable last season with Bismark count. He was a 15 POT guy that never really panned out, so I was extremely happy (and surprised) to see he was an all-star.

Billy McDowell - Breakout season. 1st in OBP, 3rd in batting. 1st all star selection

Cesar Villa - Another outstanding season for Villa thus far. .322 average to go along with 14 dongs and 60 RBIs. Fourth straight all-star selection. To think I was about to cut him five seasons ago.

Ramiro Carmona - League Leader in home runs with 22. 3rd all star selection in four seasons.

Sammy Davidson - Breakout season for the young superstar. 2nd in the league in batting average with 19 homers and 65 RBIs. He has an outside chance at a triple crown.

Jimmy van Houten - Its about freaking time he was selected. 1st selection thanks to a .297 average and 10 homers.

Albert Berra - Another typical season for Berra... tremendous. Fourth straight selection and fifth overall.
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Mig

That's impressive. To have 10 all stars and all offensive players start. You and Champaign must be having quite a year!

As for me, I only had four all stars. No suprises here:

SP Ernie Wilson, RP Cruz Alcaraz, C Xavier Lopez, OF Art Di Carlo

Ernie Wilson: Yes, it is only division V, but Wilson has enjoyed one heck of a comeback season. He hasn't pitched this well for four seasons when he inexplicably fell off Mount Everest. Now he is pitching like his old self. It has been very refreshing to watch unfold.

Cruz Alcaraz: After winning rookie pitcher of the year last season, Alcaraz turned out his first AS appearence thanks to a tremendous 1.59 ERA. He has also just replaced Hector Alvarado as the closer, which was Alcaraz's projected role for years. It will be interesting to see how he does.

Xavier Lopez: The teams's offensive leader put up superb numbers in the first half to earn his 4th AS appearence in five seasons. .310 average, 18 dingers, and 58 rbi.

Art Di Carlo: Another solid season for Di Carlo. .302 average and 102 hits. Looking for his second straight 200 hit season. 2nd straight AS selection.

One last note...

Zach Simpson I think deserves some recognition for his past excellence in probably his last season as a starter. For the first time since 2019, Simpson failed to make an all-star team. Simpson has been a model of consistency throughout his career. (Seriously, whenever I see someone with a .300 average, .390 OBP, 23-26 homers, and 100 RBIs, I call it a Simpson season.) He was an integral part of Hampton's rise to III, he was around for the past couple of dark seasons, and he is now around for the turn around (*knock on wood*). His AS streak ends at 8.

Updated Wednesday, August 17 2016 @ 6:17:59 pm PDT
g10rsh

Champaign Suzumebachi
VI.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Hey @mig, I was pretty surprised too. Figured I'd do a quick write up. This is my second full season with the team and it looks like things are paying off. Last year was mostly focused on position training for Victor Romo and Gary wise. Big surprise is Cesar Leon. He was called up at the beginning of the year to replace Stanley smith.

Pos. Name, age (all star times) highlights
SP Antonio Iglesias, 28 (1st) 97K/110 IP
SP Jose Torres, 30 (2nd) 15-2 record
CP Juan Rosales, 26 (1st) 33 saves

C Victor Romo, 27 (1st) .344 avg .910 OBP
2B Gary Wise, 26 (1st) 26SB
SS Cesar Leon, 24 (1st) 971 OPS 15 HR
OF Dustin Lang, 27 (1st)
OF Ceasar Medoza, 27(5th) 1.011OPS

X-SS/OF Stanley Smith, 29 (1st) 906 OPS
X-DH Gordon Erickson, 33 (8th)

Antonio Juan and Jose are definitely big reasons why we are doing so well this year. They put in lots of innings with lots of consistency.

Ceasar Medoza has already confirmed his spot in our hall of fame.

Cesar Leon doesn't have much PD or BC so I only currently play him against rhp, and use Stanley smith for lhp SS as well as a backup outfielder. Yet somehow Stanley managed to get enough playing time to crack the all star team.

Overall very happy with the team this year. With any luck we won't fall off the map for the second half. Currently sitting at 61W and 19L

One note, might be a bug or I've seriously misunderstood something. Antonio Iglesias should have the win, but it was given to Ivan pavic(when he came in we were up 3-0 and we never lost the lead)
Carcharoth

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
After a solid bout of interdivisional play, 4 Blue Jays position players managed to make the All-Star game as starters! No pitchers this year, but that's not much of a surprise given how badly they have been hit around.

Alberto Aquirre started at C. He has a .290/.346/.541 slash with 17 HR and 61 RBI. This was his 3rd ASG selection.

Kent Sheffield made it into the ASG as a rookie this year as the starting 2B! Brought up to start early in the season, he has hit .351/.420/.455 with 31 RBI and 33 SB so far this season in the leadoff position.

Angel Quintero received his second ASG selection in his second year in the majors as a 3B, posting a league-leading .385/.415/.625 slash with 12 HR and 63 RBI.

Lee Rossi, picked up just days into the season in the search for better bats, also made the ASG as a starting OF. He has hit .344/.364/.668 with 14 HR and 49 RBI.

To be fair, everyone's numbers are a bit inflated from feasting on the West. I think my team's OPS is up by 80 or 90 points compared to playing against teams from the East...
Squiddcatt

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Four all stars closer will Strickland of Zach Duncan(2027 IV.2 MVP) of lewis Frasier(2026 V.4 MVP) and all star MVP Gilbert McDaniel.
the gizmo

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Would be nice one day to have owners in each league vote for the AllStar teams but probably very difficult to code

Maybe default management settings could be adjusted to allow more players into game as all starters pinch hit for after inning 5 or 6

Pitchers could be a bit more challenging but maybe a few more players on each side with SP no more than 3 innings/40 pitches and all others 10
the gizmo

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Would be nice one day to have owners in each league vote for the AllStar teams but probably very difficult to code

Maybe default management settings could be adjusted to allow more players into game as all starters pinch hit for after inning 5 or 6

Pitchers could be a bit more challenging but maybe a few more players on each side with SP no more than 3 innings/40 pitches and all others 10
buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
The Bears had five All-Stars this season! Good to see some individuals excel even if the team has had to undergo a bit of a minor makeover this year at certain positions. Hoping these guys can compete for end of the year awards.

(P) Crespin Silva
(1B) Mark Bruzzone*
(SS) Julian Garza*
(OF) Toni Camacho*
(DH) Benito Cardenal

*=starter

Previous Page | Show All |