Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> 2028 Draft   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I've been playing for 8 seasons and I've never drafted a POT 15 either. Unfortunately some owner who get really lucky in the draft, end up complaining when they just have a great draft year instead of the incredible draft years they are used to. So it skews public perception of the norm.
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Needed hitting ASAP. Took a chance with the Asian Posting System. Decent 13 POT. There was a very good pitcher, too, but I have way too many pitchers right now.

Guy will end up being a good hitting left fielder.
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
15 potential doesn't mean everything. With my pick this week I now have three. My first two are fully developed. A 120 SI SS that can't hit or run.

And a 122 SI C, who I'd rather have in the OF, but he has been forced to fill the catching need. He has a career slugging of .400 and outside of one season in tier VI he has never had more than 46 extra base hits.

msigg6

Bay City Lions
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
You can make 12 potential players work.

Aaron Jennings is a 12 by has never had worse than 3.5 ERA except in his rookie years. I'll take that over a 14 pot. who can't win for s***.

A well rounded staff will always get the job done which is how I made my team of 12s and 13s work. Have to have great ingredients tho otherwise your 5 star dinner turns to a pile of crap
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, potential isn't everything, but without potential, it's all for nothing.

I guess what quality of players you need to compete depends on the opposition you face. Our division champ, Buffalo, has in their regular lineup two 15ps, five 14ps, one 13p (in LF) and one 12p (a 1B who is essentially all bat). Birmingham has one 16p and one 15p, everyone else is 14p. Most of last season, I played three 15ps, four 14ps and two 13ps (DH and 1B). Waterloo are kind of the survival artists in Legends, with two 12ps (RF and DH) and three 13ps in their regular lineups, but they live on pitching and have two 15ps and a 14p in their rotation.

I think it's pretty obvious that there's no way to survive in that environment if you keep drafting all 13p and below over several seasons, no matter how well you match players to roles or develop them. You do need a certain minimum in quality, and I don't see that minimum being much lower in League 2 or 3. There used to be teams in the upper levels that got there by digging through tons of prospects on the waiver wire to find the 16ps nobody else saw (like the late Orlando Sharks), but nowadays, the more transparent skills even that out, which I think is a good thing. Most of the top talent in the upper leagues is from the teams' own draft. In my case, I got a 14p 3B and a 13p 1B from waivers as prospects, and my rotation only holds up at this point because I was lucky on a prospect waiver in 2023 and a veteran dropped by a division rival in 2025.

In my case, pitching is the biggest weakness, and it's getting worse with my current staff getting older. Hoping for a lucky pull, I went Asian with my first pick this season (I used to try to add some color to my farm by starting with International). The one "very good" draftee in the selection was actually a pitcher, so I pulled on that straw even though he wouldn't have much of a breaking ball (as he's Indonesian, he adds color, too). Unfortunately, at 13p, his other skills won't make up for the lack of movement, so Suharto is just more of the mediocrity I'm already stuffed with in AA and AAA.

Unfortunately some owner who get really lucky in the draft, end up complaining when they just have a great draft year instead of the incredible draft years they are used to. So it skews public perception of the norm.

Not one of my draftees I've dropped since the beginning of the draft record in 2023 has been picked up by anyone else. 16 of yours have. I guess that answers that.

So, yes, there's luck involved here, which makes sense in a game like that. I was really lucky a few seasons back. Not so much in the last couple of seasons. Which is okay, but it still hurts.
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Got an offering of 3 goods and the rest above ave.
Picked the best looking good. Landed a 12 pot.

I'll keep him but likely he'll get cut down the road as I thin the minors through the season.

Can't complain too much due to last season's excellent draft with a mid round 16pot.
buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
12 potential on my first pick?? This is what I get for having a life for once LOL
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Went for this P hoping to help my BP.

I got a 12-POT 20-year-old with 27 SI, most of that derived from great range and arm.

http://brokenbat.org/player/134354

I hope the next few years of training are kind, but he'll probably get released.
nemesis

Brooklyn Dodgers
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
Added to a solid farm system with this guy, 14 pot. Looks like a DH: no arm for C, no range for anywhere else.
WizKid

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@ Nemisis - perfect 1B build

Previous Page | Show All |