Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Rookie or Not?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
BadgerBoy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/93527

This one is interesting, he had 31 game appearances in 2 seasons but no AB's.

He is having a solid year this year and would possibly be ROY, unfortunately he is listed as a professional.

Where is the cutoff line of Rookie or Pro?
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
From the manual:

To qualify as a rookie, the player must have fewer than 130 at bats, 50 innings pitched and have been in the major leagues for fewer than four training/financial updates.

It was different a few seasons ago, so he might have lost rookie status per the old rules (which I don't remember).
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
A position player with fewer than 130 ABs at the start of a season is considered to be a rookie. By that criteria, Castenada is in his rookie season. (Can check this thread for the full discussion).

Castenada may be rookie eligible. It depends on what his experience showed at the start of the season. My Youngblood is rookie eligible. He was a rookie at the start of the season, and became a professional part way through.

HOWEVER ...

This is a somewhat recent change. Previous to this coming in, a rookie was defined as a player who had fewer than 4 training updates as a major leaguer at the start of the season.

Castenada got major league ABs 2021 and 2022. Not enough to eclipse the new rule. But I believe this was when the old rule was in place. He very well may have received 4 major league training updates during those 2 seasons. This would mean he lost his rookie status under the old rule.

If he doesn't get any rookie of the year consideration, this is what happened.

Edit: sorry MukilteoMike - had this thread sitting open and didn't see your response. ... you had it covered. :)

Updated Wednesday, June 15 2016 @ 8:35:48 am PDT
BadgerBoy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the replies gents,

This is from the MLB Site

Determining rookie status:
A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues; or (b) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the period of 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service and time on the disabled list).

So in regards to AB's and IP, BB is on the same page

If we are talking updates, those are essentially weeks..correct? So 4 updates=28 days?

Not sure how long he was up for but hey gotta argue for my guys...lol
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, there might be some inconsistency here.

My sense from the thread I linked was that the AB & IP criteria had replaced the 4 update criteria. But MukilteoMike's quote from the manual suggests that the AB & IP criteria was combined with the update criteria.

(If that's the case, my Youngblood isn't eligible and was a bad example.)
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow, I guess I was confused. I was under the same impression as Seca. But I took a second look at a player of mine who I thought was eligible this season and find him listed as a professional. So it does appear that the 4 training update limit is still in effect as well.

Updated Wednesday, June 15 2016 @ 10:24:08 am PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Ya. Did a little looking around. Definitely still in the criteria.

My earlier post is complete garbage. :) Sorry about that. I thought the experience title (rookie/professional/veteran) could change any training update, but it looks like it only changes at the beginning of the season. If someone is eligible for RotY this season they will still say rookie. Castenada will not be in the running.

I'm a little surprised the updates are still in there. I get why. But I thought the impetus of the change was to make the criteria more transparent. ABs and IPs are very transparent. # of major league training updates is not.
BadgerBoy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Might be nice to make the days a player is up more parallel to MLB.

Officially its 45 Days

Broken Bat is 28 Days

Or Get rid of days up and just go by PA and IP...idk

Previous Page | Show All |