Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Lefties   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Garnash1970

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I remember seeing a series of posts about the relative ineffectiveness of left handed starters. I went looking for it and couldn't find it.

I'm running out 4 left-handed starters and my closer is LH. I've been at or near the top of pitching stats for the past 3 seasons. It is possible.

The biggest side effect of LH SP is in my CS%. My catchers have allowed only 19 SB so far this season, the next best team has allowed over 40. My starting C has a 14 arm.

Also, my RFs tend to make almost as many plays as my CF.

Having a huge outfield REALLY helps your pitching!

Just sharing.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
If you look at the expanded league standings, you can see how other teams in your league do against LH and RH starters.

In general, teams (especially bots) platoon a little more in Broken Bat than in RL, so LH starters tend to face a lot of lefties.

Steve
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
A good pitcher is a good pitcher. Lefties will face a lot of right handed hitters because there are more righties then lefties. Righty pitchers have the advantage of still facing a good amount of righties. So there is a little bit of an advantage there. However, a good pitcher is a good pitcher. If the guy is a stud, it doesn't matter what hand he is.

Additionally some guys seem to perform better on the split than others. So a lefty who doesn't have a strong split tendency won't be at as much of a disadvantage. A lefty with a very strong split tendency should probably be playing LHS.

Case in point, I really wanted Byrd to be my LHS because he doesn't have a lot of stamina and he is a good pitcher. However I was eventually forced to face facts and put Briggs at LHS instead. Despite having the stamina of a starter his splits were just too severe. He really has to be a LHS (or nothing). So Byrd went into the rotation instead.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I have been surprised by the amount of LH starting pitching in Legends West. Successful too.

East is another story. Only 3* LH starting pitchers of note, all with poor records (Bagley 6-9, Gargiulo 5-7, Guerra 2-5). Only 1 team in the East that doesn't have a better winning % against south paws.

Have long felt the value of LHP varies a lot with league / opposition. Haven't seen anything to change my mind this season.

* no disrespect intended to recent additions to the rotation like Sheehan or Ngamsan.

Previous Page | Show All |