Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Same position same minor league level   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Sdorfman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Does this matter? If I have two catchers currently in AA, should I promote one to AAA to separate them or does the SIM not account for this sort of thing?
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Always keep them at their recommended level, try training one at a secondary position such as 3B etc
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Minor league teams for games are cobbled together from all teams at that level (league level or minors level?). So if there are say 150 games (total guess) taking place at LL-6, your two catchers will be competing against ~300 other catchers for 2 of 150 starting positions. Having two guys on your squad doesn't really impact your odds one way or another.

Also, I'm pretty sure Steve has said that minor leaguers gain position experience even if they don't play in games. In fact he has said that they will still gain experience in the position you have them set for even if they play a different position in a minor league game.

Updated Monday, May 16 2016 @ 8:01:15 am PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Pretty sure it is minor league level meaning that a player in AA on a Legends squad could be on the same team as a player in AA on a LL VI squad. Tbh though, LL doesn't matter in the minors. Some LL VI minor leaguers are better than some Legends minor league guys. Modifying the rest of your post is simple from there, if there are 200 starting catcher spots at AA and 300 guys listed as training at catcher across Broken Bat at AA, then some won't get very much playing time considering Steve has said the algorithm does choose who starts based on who is best qualified as the largest factor. At the same time, we also know players can gain position experience without playing in minor league games (though it might be slower).

Edit: misread the second paragraph of what Rock said, so I basically repeated it. Please excuse me if my comments are a bit off right now, I'm sick and have a pounding headache.

Updated Monday, May 16 2016 @ 8:37:37 am PDT

Updated Monday, May 16 2016 @ 8:41:51 am PDT
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
To avoid any confusion, minor league games do not impact minor league training, position or skill wise. It's that simple.

Minor league games and the resulting stats are interesting. There is some information that can be gained but whether a player gets in 70 games or 140 games has no bearing on his development in the minors.

Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
You sure about that Tiger? I'm not sure that's accurate...

When Newtman asked Steve whether position training was based on the position they played, or the position they were set to train in Steve replied

Mostly setting...

Mostly seems to imply that actual playing time at a position does factor in.

I'm also not sold on your assumption that playing time doesn't effect the rest of development either. Where are you getting that from?
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
I am unaware of Steve's mostly comment. I recall Steve saying that minor league playing time doesn't factor into weekly updates. I do not have a thread I can refer you too. I do feel confident that is what he said though. However, I've been wrong before. I guess Steve might need to restate how this works unless someone can find the thread.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
It is probable that position experience works a bit different than weekly updates.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Indeed skill training and position training are different in this regard. I do remember asking that question about a month ago, and Steve answering exactly what Rock said. Regardless though, I doubt the boost from playing in the minor league games is such that it would impact getting the lower case and upper case by more than one or two weeks max. Yes that can be significant, but I doubt it is more significant than that. Also, since it only matters for players try to train a non-upper case position, it really doesn't apply to most players (who likely have trained the position they are wanted at well in advance of being ready for the majors, with the exception of the new Asian players).
Sdorfman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thank you all for your help

Previous Page | Show All |