Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Minor League Rating   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Curious. Do you establish a cutoff for what minor league rating a player should have to be worth keeping? Does that number adjust as you establish your roster? I revamped my minor league system when I took over my club and now have a bunch of minor league players with a large group at AA and most at rookie. It seems most of the time when I add a prospect their rating is better than the guys I have in the minors. I'm starting to wonder if it's worth carrying all these minor leaguers with lower ratings and swap them out as I go or if I should pick some number like any minor league player with a rating below 50 gets the ax?
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Ranking is mostly for funzies, I wouldn't recommend making any important decisions based on it. It puts too much impact on SI, so guys with high SI will have better ranking, which doesn't necessarily mean they will be better players.

Example - Dimas. He will be a great 1B, but in the ranking he is 3rd from the bottom on my team. Cut? No way.
quanin

Cleveland Thunder
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I've been around for less than a season, so apply salt to taste, but I think it depends entirely on where in your system the lower rated prospects are. Everyone I've drafted so far has been recommended for rooky, so if I were to cut the lower rated talent currently occupying space in AAA, there'd be a significant gap until their replacements are ready. Since I can't guarantee I'd get anything better off wavers (see also: my luck acquiring pitching that way), I've decided to give them a halfway decent look. If they don't make decent gains by age 25 and aren't recommended to majors by then, I'll use the roster space for someone else unless they're occupying a position I'm embarrassingly short at.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm just entering my second season but the same applies, take or leave as you wish.

I do use the prospect rankings to get a general idea of where my prospects are at. I too revamped my entire system since I took over, which wasn't helped by the fact that only two draft picks had been made before last season. The rankings are indeed meant as fun but they can be useful when making tough decisions - if you have guys with similar ages and similar reports at the same position, it might help you make your choice.

I've often wondered about the ranking scores for other teams prospects. Mine range from 67.6 to 44.0 (20 total prospects), and dropping all seven guys under 50 is not an option I'm willing to entertain. Until recently I had a few guys in the 40.0 - 44.0 range.

But as others have said, take each prospect as they come and assess them individually. For instance, my lowest and highest prospects have the following scouting reports:-

1. He has decent speed. He can be outstanding in the field. He has good overall potential.

2. He can be a very good hitter. He has decent speed. He can be amazing in the field. He has good overall potential.

Which one is which? Going on the reports you'd think #2 would be the top prospect, but actually its #1. This might explain why:-

1. Korey Suzuki, 18, 1B (playing at SS), 67 SI, 14 POT, 67.6 rating

2. Adrian Peterson, 22, OF, 74 SI, 12 POT, 44.0 rating

Suzuki is younger, almost as good (SI), and has a significantly higher POT. Yet Peterson still has a good scouting report, a decent build and only average points in fielding, range and arm so he could turn out to be very useful. Suzuki OTOH has no useful hitting report in his scouting, so he may be a glove-only guy even at 14 pot.

It'll be interesting to see how these guys develop.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I mostly just use it for fun. Some of my worst prospects have been rated in the 70s, while some of my best prospects have been rated in the 30s.

Dimas is a great example. Should be a stud.

Previous Page | Show All |