Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Pitching Rotation?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
mcrmoe

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
In my very limited experience, I give young pitchers as many starts as possible given that a pitcher can gain as much as 20 SI in the first few seasons.

Usually I'll only have one rookie SP. If you're in rebuilding mode no harm in having a couple inexperienced (low SI) starters. Yet if you want to remain competitive, place some of the better pitchers in the bullpen to bail you out.

Just my two cents...
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yoshida is going to struggle to get to his cap, but if he can get there he has a chance to be good. Cuerto has a rather average build, but is younger and has a much higher chance of hitting his cap if he is called up now like the game is telling you to. You could keep both, but my quick glance at your pitching didn't see any blatantly obvious cuts and 12 pitchers would be a tad overkill and would hurt to try to replace in a few seasons since they are all clumped between 24-29.

Cuerto is who I would choose and I would hope that he develops a very high CoS and control, because that "major league" slider will start getting sent over a fence in the higher leagues on a decently regular basis if it is his best pitch. At least that has been my experience.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Is there a significant difference between starting a pitcher (or any player) in the majors as opposed to AAA? I'm in a pretty tight division race and blooding young players who are significantly below my older starters would hurt, even though it would benefit me in the long term.

I've seen some of the younger guys stats improve when they were dropped down to AAA as opposed to sitting on the bench in the majors, so I'm wondering what's best?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
In the minors they will always improve best at the level they are recommended for. And they do gain training in the majors. For some players who hit 25 without being recommended for the majors it is unclear where they would get the best gains. I *believe* that a player recommended to the majors will get better training in the majors, but I'm not 100% on that. If they get any games at all in, then they are better off in the majors. If you have a 25 year old who was not recommended and not getting innings, he might do better off in AAA. If you have a 25 year old who was recommended but not getting innings, its unclear to me where he will get better training, but my guess is that he will still do better in the majors.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
To elaborate on what Rock said, if the player was recommended for promotion before he hit 25 or was in AAA before he was recommended for promotion then it is unclear whether it is better to sit on the bench or to pitch in AAA, but likely better on the bench. If the player was recommended at 25 after being in AA or below, then although unclear, he is likely better in AAA.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I was actually wondering if the same applied to hitters?

I have a 23-yo 1B Hastings who has been recommended for the majors for a while now, despite hitting just .217 in AA. I've brought him up for a couple of games while my regular 1B is injured just to test the waters, but am I better keeping him up?

I have two older 1B in Byrd and Bauer (see here), neither of whom have a great hit tool and haven't seen much action themselves, because I've been playing Graves there all year.

I picked up Hastings and Trevino off waivers earlier this season and have since drafted a couple of youngsters because the farm was bare, but I don't have concerns with the guys lower down the minors, it's more what to do with the guys higher up.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Hastings looks ready to me. Remember being "ready" isn't the same as being "good" rookies tend to struggle when they are first brought up. And some guys just never pan out. But from a development perspective he is getting the nod same time as most anyone else.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

Remember being "ready" isn't the same as being "good" rookies tend to struggle when they are first brought up.

That sentence should be in the manual, because not enough forum posters even realize it, which likely means there are plenty of people who don't post who don't realize it.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks guys, much appreciated.
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for Yoshida, I really needed some high minors pitching depth
(I had to call up Gil for a series earlier this season when I had a couple pitchers down)
If he can pick up a few more non-stamina/fielding points in AAA I think he should be a solid middle / long relief arm for me.

VI.5 must be a pretty brutal race if you need to drop guys like that

Previous Page | Show All |