Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> suspended animation   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Its not cool at all... What would your reaction be when your star player that you've been building your team around is suddenly removed from the game to be given to a bot team? Probably quit right? And this would be happening to someone every week. A quick way to whittle down the number of players in the game, without really any upside what so ever. You want to remove a bot team (which could already be great) and replace it with a team of randomly stolen players (which could be crap). What's the point?
Philliesworld

Blacksburg Bulldogs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow! Those are some great points. It would definitely piss me off.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Agree with Rock, because the math of random doesn't work that way. On average given an enormous sample size, yes, a team would only lose a player every 14 years, but if it was really random some people could lose a lot of players before another person lost their first. For proof of that look at how some teams win multiple claims on waivers in a season while others get nothing, or look at how some people get a few great drafts in a row while others get garbage. That is how random works, it doesn't even out immediately, it takes time, lots of time in situations with large numbers of people involved.

Updated Saturday, February 20 2016 @ 9:15:31 pm PST
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

The team would be randomly chosen from all the teams who have not yet had a career ending injury. The player would be randomly chosen from that team's major or minor league roster.

His suggestion makes it random, but ensures no team gets the bad luck more often than others.
I'm sure too many people would cry about this. I'm a bit sick and like it to a certain degree. If it's career ending, though, he should be gone forever, not sent to another team.
Personally I'd rather see an injury striking one team a day (again going through every team before repeating a new random selection), but with only a 365 game day injury.
I know there would be riots if anything like this or the original suggestion was implemented. Oh well. It's kind of a cool idea. I'm sure almost everyone is jumping off the realism train right about now.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Eh, I wouldn't mind 365 game day injuries being implemented in the way you suggest Mike. Only if they would the way you suggest though, as it could really go off the rails if they are done the way normal injuries currently are.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Seems like a bit much for baseball. Baseball players aren't dropping like flies out on the field... People already complain about the number of injuries (which I think are about right).
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
V.14

Broken Bat Baseball
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
Benchwarmer

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
That's a horrible idea, especially with as hard as it is to get really good talent. Teams in LL VI and V could get really screwed if one of their best players is taken out that way. Something like that would be frustrating and only would serve to drive people away from the game.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Injuries are always a tricky topic. They exist to shake things up and borrow partially from real life... but let them be too major of a factor and you end up making the game unenjoyable.

Broken Bat is one of the few sims I've played that has injuries but doesn't have them overbearing.

No, they're not close to the frequency/intensity of real life... but that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Given the sheer number of teams and distribution of talent, injuries on par with reality could do serious damage to a low-level team just trying to fight their way up. We don't want to demoralize players.

This suggestion is so extreme to the demoralizing end.

I like the minor injuries we have now. It gives us a purpose for backups while not having bad fortune give no hope to a season continuously.

I do still think we need a real fatigue system so fatigue is tracked and depletes with play rather than being random... but aside from that, it's enough to add strategy and give meaning to backups, which I like. The fatigue thing would just further enhance this.
metalbat13

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
In honor of Terry Humphreys, who started this bizarre thread, the Pensacola Hippos held their first-ever "Suspended Animation / Wayward Pines" Night. See latest Pensacola press release for more information.

Previous Page | Show All |